emidamma

physiological stress of long term exposure to adrenaline

Most humans do just fine with absolutely no fear in their life.

I dunno, I've heard theories that people will invent danger in their lives to compensate for a lack of it. For example, the whole terrorism scare going on. You have an absurdly remote chance of being killed by a terrorist, yet there's a huge panic about it.

It also explains why people like scary movies and carnival rides. We like to feel safe, but also seek the arousal of danger. Probably a needed instinct for predators otherwise they'd never seek out prey.

I GUESS I NEED TO PREFACE THIS- THIS IS NOT ABOUT ADRENALINE JUNKIES IT IS SIMPLY AN INTREST IN PHYSIOLOGY AND BEING INFORMED !
Anyone know where to find some good research on the positive and negative impacts of continual exposure to adrenaline on the body? Does the body habituate to the sympathetic arousal experienced during skydiving? Eustress vs. stress.....I have a list of questions.

The Stress of Life by Hans Selye
This is a classic work. It tells you about all the different chemicals that get released and how different activities enhance or curb their release.

Personality and Prediction in Aviation by Jens-Henrik Johnsen
This was written by a jumper doing his doctoral thesis.

Email me directly for more references.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

It's my own wacky theory that human beings are hardwired to NEED adrenalin exposure.

An interesting concept. Here's a whacky concept of mine... When born, a humans being's brain is hardwired to RECEIVE everything, but is hardwired to NEED nothing. Each and every experience is tied to an emotion, a chemical reaction takes place and the brain begins to be programmed, "wired" on the fly to be better and better at receiving and processing that which it gets on a normal basis.

Fear... Fight or Flight... Unnecessary to the human in todays world? Just think about a time when being a human did not automatically give you a spot at the top of the food chain. Today we do not live entirely without threat of physical injury or death but I'd be willing to bet our neanderthal ancestors were built to receive the stuff a little better than we. But only in adulthood.

What does that mean? That if I fear for my life today, the adrenaline released into my bloodstream floods me as I was built with so many receptors for it. There is more adrenaline in me then there are receptors to 'catch' it. Because all of these receptors get the stuff, I am overwhelmed. I experience anxiety, tight muscles, some extra strength and speed.

When I "escape" this situation alive, I am rewarded with Dopemine. From the entire experience, the live cells within me which took to the stuff recorded this and my brain notes that more receptors should be built. The next time you try and scare me, I may not react with the same intensity. It is not because I am less sensitive to the hormone... rather because more of me is looking for it. There are more cells now which need to be activated by the stuff before I get the same reaction as before. This is the true meaning of being 'desensitised'.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!