Avion

I Did AFF in Four Jumps!!!

Pardon me for taking so long to post this. I've had trouble figuring out just what I want to say. So, I'll just give you the facts.

After spending one year to accumulate five hours in the Orlando tunnel, I managed to pass AFF in four jumps. As it happened, the course went so smoothly I was left wondering where's all the excitement.

My next ten jumps on my own went just as smooth. I was beginning to think myself naturally talented, because I had managed to stand up every jump that I had ever made.

Then... I took Scott Miller's five jump canopy course. My evaluation jump, I slide in on my belly. Jump two, I slide in on my butt. Jump three, I backwards PLFed. Jump four, I managed to stand up, finally :S Jump five, was fast downwind PLF.

I consider myself to have a more rounded experience now B|

---------------------

In retrospect, I attribute the smoothness of my training to the skill of my AFF instructors: Christine, Kim, Nikki, Nicolas, and Nat.

I am also wondering, what would be appropriate to express my gratitude for being educated in such good hands.

Cheers

, I attribute the smoothness of my training to the skill of my AFF instructors: Christine, Kim, Nikki, Nicolas, and Nat.

I am also wondering, what would be appropriate to express my gratitude for being educated in such good hands.

Cheers

i think you just have:)
congrats and welcome to skydiving.
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

Don't get hurt.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

After spending one year to accumulate five hours in the Orlando tunnel, I managed to pass AFF in four jumps.

I asked an instructor once how easy it was for someone good in the tunnel to move to the sky...

His response to me was, "Tunnel only flyers are very likely to lose altitude awareness. Their body clock is tuned to a 2 minute tunnel session, not a 1 minute skydive. I know of more than one cypres fire where the tunnel rat lost awareness."

So, my question to you is, did you find that the case? Are you at all concerned about this issue for the future as you do more complicated stuff that can be distracting???

I bring it up because the guy who made the comment to me has thousands more skydives than you and I combined, and I think his point is valid. When he told me, I had more hours in the tunnel (still do) than the sky - so I thought about how this effected my ability to keep aware... It opened my eyes.

By the way, tracking is something you don't learn in the tunnel, but after a group skydive, it is one important thing to save your life... I have jumped with two people with a lot of tunnel experience. One could track, the other could not... Opened my eyes to another issue and inspired me to get coaching on tracking regardless of how good I was to begin with.

Congrats and have fun.

All i know is that, the more you know, the more you know you don't know. Ya know ?
To express gratitude to AFF instructors : Stay current and jump with them. And like Dougie said, stay safe and don't get hurt.
Congratulations on your new road to immense happiness. (and the balance it may bring)
Alive in the Super Unknown---
Sound Garden

, I attribute the smoothness of my training to the skill of my AFF instructors: Christine, Kim, Nikki, Nicolas, and Nat.

Cheers

i think you just have:)
congrats and welcome to skydiving.

Yep congrats!!!! :)
And beyond thanks and beer, Jump Tickets??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Thanks Everybody,

I asked an instructor once how easy it was for someone good in the tunnel to move to the sky...

His response to me was, "Tunnel only flyers are very likely to lose altitude awareness. Their body clock is tuned to a 2 minute tunnel session, not a 1 minute skydive. I know of more than one cypres fire where the tunnel rat lost awareness."

So, my question to you is, did you find that the case? Are you at all concerned about this issue for the future as you do more complicated stuff that can be distracting???

I bring it up because the guy who made the comment to me has thousands more skydives than you and I combined, and I think his point is valid. When he told me, I had more hours in the tunnel (still do) than the sky - so I thought about how this effected my ability to keep aware... It opened my eyes.

By the way, tracking is something you don't learn in the tunnel, but after a group skydive, it is one important thing to save your life... I have jumped with two people with a lot of tunnel experience. One could track, the other could not... Opened my eyes to another issue and inspired me to get coaching on tracking regardless of how good I was to begin with.

Durning my first two jumps, after all my tasks were done in the air, about 8K, and I had some 'play time' I neglected to keep track of my altitude, by over estimating the time I had to play, which in truth was only about 10 seconds. My instructors had to remind me to look at my altimeter by shaking my arm. Both times I looked at my alti and said, oh gee, 6000 already! My tunnel instructors had told me to expect this problem, and I recognized it when my AFF instructors had to remind my to look. On my third jump, I made it a major point to myself to maintain altitude awarness for the whole skydive. Basically, I had to tell myself that the whole dive is work time, and I must maintain awareness for the entire dive, play time or otherwise letting my mind wander durning freefall is simply out the question.

I'm glad to say, that did job. Now by the time 8K comes around I start watching my altitude even more intently than at the start of the dive. However, one minuted in freefall does feel like a short time, being used to 2-3 minutes at a shot in the tunnel. On the other hand, I am beginning to get the structure of a whole skydive ingrained in my mind. It really is a lot different than the tunnel, almost like a whole other activity. I doubt it will be any futher trouble.

Tracking, turned out to be easy as pie for me. It's the back loops that are giving me trouble. It's hard for me to get them started and I seem to roll out of them sidways alot [:/] Front loops, and barrel rolls are easy enough though :)