how do i lose altitude fast on a tracking dive?

I have been told to arch - which works, but not quick enough, even when i pull my arms right in and grab my leg straps. I have been told to change my angle of attack, which i do but then i tend to pick up a lot of forward drive too (i think my body position for this might not be too great - i tend to drop my knees and someone told me this will put me in a high life track position).

What's the most effective and safe way to get down to a tracking formation quickly if it's "falling away from you"? For some reason i seem to find myself floaty on a lot of tracking dives, and by the time it's breakoff, i'm still too high.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Considering your weight (I used to be 190), my first inclination is that you are wearing far too baggy a jumpsuit. Ask whoever is leading the dive if they are intentionally flying it steep. Maybe you could request a flatter track? It certainly increases the challenge for all.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

rule one: don't loose your group on exit. if this fails - well from physics they will fall farther & farther away if you don't do something about it (bet someone is going to explain the why & how)

this brings us to rule two: make yourself as small as possible BUT never loose the others out of your vision

if you still can't catch up - learn to be the rabbit and outfloat the others as the leader of the next trackdive B|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

What's the most effective and safe way to get down to a tracking formation quickly if it's "falling away from you"?

Fly Atmonauti!

You will be able to hold any vertical and any horizontal speed at any angle. No matter what the group is doing.

Check out http://www.atmonauti.com (under Atmonauti / Guiness / Track-monauti).

Oh wait ... Atmonauti ... that doesn't exist, does it? :$ Flame away ...

make yourself as small as possible BUT never loose the others out of your vision

Do you mean something like this? I saw a guy do this to drop down a bit quicker, only for a second or two.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

No. Delta's have a huge range of glide angles with high variables between vertical and horizontal speed.

It's a well known term. Any instructor on your DZ should be able to demonstrate and brief you.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

make yourself as small as possible BUT never loose the others out of your vision

Do you mean something like this? I saw a guy do this to drop down a bit quicker, only for a second or two.

yep - btw: nice pic
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

You can try increasing you angle of attack to the point that you are not flying faster forward than the formation

Think small arms tight to your sides, legs together and bend forward at the waist, you will get down but take it easy to start with.

Then contol the vertical speed by spreading or closing your legs.

If you are high above a formation you should always aim in font and to the side to stay safe. Of the whole formation not just the rabbit, what out for others who may be weaving etc.

IN FRONT- because the formation is moving so if you aim at them when you get down you will be behind them.

TO THE SIDE- incase you over cook the dive, if you are aimed to the side the worst that happens is you go low on the formation, and cannot get back up, if you aim at the formation you over cook it well I am sure I don't need to explain.

---once you have some experience-----
If you tighs are not burning as you slow down as you approach to the side of the formation you are not going hard enough
---do not try this without a good deal of tracking exerience---

Jezz

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers