adri6999

Newbie question

Hello everybody,

I have been lurking around in this forum for about a month and never posted. I was doing "research" about skydiving and finally made my first tandem last Sunday. WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!! Amazing!!!! Blah, blah, blah. These words do not do justice to what I was feeling and have been feeling since. I cannot stop bragging and spreading the news about my wonderful experience and how awesome everyone was to me:)

Anyway, I have finally posted because I have a few questions. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question...

1st - I want to start the AFF training to be able to jump on my own. I have seen video that shows AFF student training and the student has to maneuver the chute on their own. How difficult is this?

2nd - If I do complete the training, about how expensive is it to purchase all the equipment one needs to continue skydiving?

I hope I do get the nerve to start skydiving on my own...b/c the experience was breathtaking:) Thanks.

"and sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
a human being that was given to fly"

well first thing you need to do is save up money, or get a good credit card lol joking. If you have a dropzone already in mind, just sign up for the first jump course that will explain alot of questions you have. For your first and following jumps you will most likley have a radio in you helmet where a instructor will talk to you and guide you down until you learn how to steer and flare properly.

As far as gear goes it is all in how much money you have. This falls back to the credit card thing;). You can go all out and spend over $7,000 on all the gear from head to toe, or you can look used and get away for around $1,500-2000.

The bigest thing to worry about now is going through the course being safe and having fun. Worry abotu gear later when you are sure skydiving is really what you want to do.:)

Glad you made a jump! :)

I have seen video that shows AFF student training and the student has to maneuver the chute on their own. How difficult is this?

I hate to be rude, but the tandem instructor you may have had sucked.
It is a good question but it amazes me that some tandem instructors dont let the passengers fly the canopy and explain how easy it is on your 1st tandem.

Just letting the passengers fly the canopy to let them see how easy it really is, brings MANY back to do the FJC and become skydivers.

Go to the DZ and ask questions, you'll get answers upfront and to the point when you on the DZ. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

It is a good question but it amazes me that some tandem instructors dont let the passengers fly the canopy and explain how easy it is on your 1st tandem.

When I did my first Tandem my Tandem Instructor let me pull the ripcord and help steer the canopy. It really felt like I was totally involved. Of course I was already hooked the second we left the plane! :)
When I did my first AFF jump I was under radio control and guided back to the landing area. You have to be prepared of course for the radio to possibly fail but that really was no big issue. As far as steering the canopy is concerned - That really is VERY easy. The First Jump Course will be quite extensive and prepare you for that.

There is no way to describe what it felt like to be under canopy by yourself. That is soooooooo much fun!

To the original poster - the best advice to you from my VERY limited experience - listen to your instructors and dont be afraid to ask questions. You WILL have a blast!

P.S. My Avatar Picture was taken during my AFF1.

Dude, my first comment is, go to the DZ, sign up for the class, and do it... If you read these forums, you will get overwhelmed at first and perhaps too intimidated to actually do it. I waited a long time to skydive because I read the requirements of each of the AFF levels and thought, "I am a clutz, I could never do that..."

Your questions:

1. Canopy... With the right teachers, it is easy and fun. Don’t worry about it… Even if the radio fails, you will have the training to land safely.

2. Cost... The poster before told you some fair prices... But here is a perspective: When you buy a car, you don't think about the cost as cash you have to lay out all at one time, you think about monthly payments... If you don't have the cash, low interest rate credit cards and/or a loan from the bank (assuming good credit) - is not such a bad thing. When you sell your rig, it will hold a lot of value, more than a car it seems at times, so it is really an investment... I started skydiving the same month my 4runner was paid off in full. The cash I am spending on skydiving is about the same as my old car payment.

So as I have told my friends... Ya it is a shit load of money... But it is less money than my car payment, and my car has 65,000 miles on it and I rather drive it until it has 120,000 miles than buy a new car now and not skydive... What is more fun, a new car - or skydiving???

When someone told me that our sport was not mainstream because of the cost, I replied, “Bull. Look at how many 18-35 year old males own sport bike motorcycles. Similar risk level, similar adrenaline sport activity, and SIMULAR COST to a rig – often times more!!!” So, where there is a will, there is a way.

But before all that – goto the DZ, make a few student jumps thru the AFF program, see if ya like it, then worry about the cash and equipment… As the Home Depot tag line says, “You can do it, we can help.”

When I did my first Tandem my Tandem Instructor let me pull the ripcord and help steer the canopy. It really felt like I was totally involved. Of course I was already hooked the second we left the plane! :)

Thats awesome. :)
Letting the first time tandem be involved in the skydive should always be an option to them.
Some will choose not to want to pull, as some may think it's too much responcability, but talking to them under canopy and showing them how easy it is to fly the it most will enjoy.
It also does a couple other things besides getting the student to want to learn how to skydive on their own, like relieving the TI from some muscule fatigue over a long day of jumping and it will relieve the student from getting motion sickness if he's in control. ;)

When I did my first AFF jump I was under radio control and guided back to the landing area. You have to be prepared of course for the radio to possibly fail but that really was no big issue. As far as steering the canopy is concerned - That really is VERY easy. The First Jump Course will be quite extensive and prepare you for that.

One of the other ways to make the FJC abit shorter and easier is to go through the TAF progression.
This way on the first 2 skydives you are already taught canopy control, landing patterns, body position and altitude awareness. ;)

To the original poster - the best advice to you from my VERY limited experience - listen to your instructors and dont be afraid to ask questions. You WILL have a blast!

Great advise :)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com