biff383

Wind

hey...I didn't make it to the incidents forum today..... And all I had to do is not jump in 20 mph winds.
It would have been the first jump of the year, and I might have been able to do it....but...I guess that there might be one or two days that might be better this year.
Sorry that I didn't get hurt:-}

Smart decision!! I always use a couple of gauges when deciding to jump or not to jump in windy conditions (albeit the final decision is mine). Wind direction at my DZ or if people with thousands of jumps (3K, 12K, 34K) are not jumping (who are sensible! :)
I made the mistake of jumping on a breezy day a couple of years ago (winds about 20). It wasn't a steady 20 - sometimes a little gusty. It appeared that it had calmed down. Went up for a 5-way and 4 out of 5 (that would be me) landed without incident. It was the GUST (35 mph) that took me for a not so nice ride!! So I'm ultra careful - I'd rather be around on the next nice day to jump!!B|:P

Dare to dream and then make it happen!

It was very windy at my DZ yesterday ( 20 mph), and the owner had me watch a group of experienced jumpers land so that I could decide whether to jump or not. I have 47 jumps and a PD-218 wing loaded to slightly less than 1:1. Well the wind kicked up a bit more and one guy with thousands of jumps hit some turbulence and his itty-bitty chute bowtied and he fell like a rock. Luckily he was low to the ground and he landed safely, but a guy standing next to me saw that happen at Z-hills at 75 feet and it either seriously injured him or killed him--can't remember. Anyway, I decided not to jump. Didn't matter, the DZ owner grounded the planes after that. There will be other days.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

It's better to be on the ground, wishing you were up there, than being up there and wishing you were on the ground.

When i thought about to jump or not to jump due to wind the last time, my buddy came in too fast and broke his leg (piloting error thou), which ended my jumping day anyway...[:/]

Not comfy, not jumping. It's that simple.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

If I have to ask the question then it's not safe for me.
I don't see-saw (teeter-totter) yea or neigh.
I look I judge i decide, somtimes i get a bit of hazing from the guys who choose to jump, but that too will pass.;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?