jkotch

Protrack in a track

Last month I went on my first tracking dive. When I checked my Protrack it posted a max. speed of 178 mph. Is this accurate? Could the Protrack register the forward speed or is this a miss reading due to a burrble or other interference?

If you mount a pro-track or neptune on your head the readings are always off a bit because you move your head around. For more accurate readings mount it on your hip (but then the beeper won't do you much good anymore). Either that or you need some serious work on your tracking :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It seems extreme, but it might be that you are tracking *very* steeply. Have you ever had someone watch your body position during a track? If not, try de-arching. You will find that your track becomes much flatter. The benefit is that you can cover larger distance in the same amount time. This is especially good when breaking away from a group before deployment because you want to get as far away as possible is the few seconds you have. Hope this helps.

Shane

My ProTrack's output (viewed on the computer with JumpTrack) always shows a big spike in speed during the tracking off from an RW jump.

The spike typically goes up to 140 to 160 mph SAS. It does start at the altitude I remember as break off, and continues through the short track until the speed drops off quickly during canopy opening.

The spike has also happened for a group tracking dive, after the point where we broke from the moderate speed tracking, to an agressive track before pulling.

The spike is sure to be erroneous, as I don't drop away from the formation in some sort of bad, diving track.

My ProTrack is mounted externally on a ProTec helmet. I don't know how an internal mount or other helmets might affect things.