Ron

Accidental night jump?

I have a feeling you are going to tell me....

youngsters: related to clouds of smoke

oldsters: kick-some-stupid-ass.

edited because I was just informed of the "youngsters" meaning for "Safety Meeeting"/
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well, at least to me, that seems to be the point that Ron is trying to make.

exactly - why won't they debate his position instead of his phrasing?

(I think because it's just fun to be contentious in an annoying way - not that there's anything wrong with that)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

exactly - why won't they debate his position instead of his phrasing?

Because this would not be DZ.com then.

(I think because it's just fun to be contentious in an annoying way - not that there's anything wrong with that)

Your one of the best at it:)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

So the logical conclusion from your position is that a "D" license (or at least 2 night jumps) should be a requirement to manifest for a sunset load?

Yeah, thats one possible conclusion. Though it's not really something that I would support. People throw around so many rules these days like that is the fix to the problem. If that was a rule, then I am sure that at DZs across the country people would be breaking it all the time. It's not about having rules to me it's more about getting people to think more about what they are doing. Ya know, putting the 'common' back into the phrase common sense.

There is almost always someone at the DZ during jumping operations that should know better and help out younger jumpers. Everyone seems in such a rush to make rules on this or that. Some of the topics that get talked about on here I do agree that we should have a few more rules, some I don't think that we should. This is the latter.

Life is not always so cut and dry. There is so much to be said for the gray area in between. All I am saying is that a few night jumps in the right circumstances gives you an experience to draw on later if you find yourself hanging under canopy with a waning sun on the horizon.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I don't know about you guys but landing in the plane sounds a lot more dangerous to me.

Given the choice between landing a canopy in the dark or in a cessna VFR with no runway lights on an 1800 ft. grass strip I would take my chances under canopy every time.;)

Even with runway lights I would do the same. Landing in the plane is scary enough, but IN THE DARK? No thanks!

I don't know about you guys but landing in the plane sounds a lot more dangerous to me.

Given the choice between landing a canopy in the dark or in a cessna VFR with no runway lights on an 1800 ft. grass strip I would take my chances under canopy every time.;)

Even with runway lights I would do the same. Landing in the plane is scary enough, but IN THE DARK? No thanks!

In the plane, if the pilot doesn't like what he sees there is the option to power up and go around to try again. Rather difficult under canopy!

I bet any pilot with a commercial certificate has more night flying experience than you do under canopy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hey, to each his own. If you are brave enough to land in the plane in the dark go right ahead.

I don't like landing in the plane during the day, no way would I do it at night unless there is no other choice.;)

Another point that is being missed here....If you are losing the sun you don't have to go all the way up. You can always exit at a lower altitude and give both yourself and the pilot more light to land.

Hey, to each his own. If you are brave enough to land in the plane in the dark go right ahead.

Well, I'm a pilot and don't have any problem with night landings.B|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, I'm a pilot and don't have any problem with night landings.B|

turn off all power and lights...... then do you have a problem with it?:)