SkydivingNurse

Back in the air (finally)

So today was the day I finally got back into the air. I had taken way too much time off for a variety of reasons, I attended Safety Day this year, I went to the DZ one day and did a refresher of EPs, but couldn't jump. I thought about it for a while and decided that the best way to get my legs again would be to do a tandem dive. What a great choice it turned out to be!
I arrive at the DZ, a bit nervous and a bit excited. I go through the paperwork and half-heartedly watch the tandem video. I have jumped before, did six AFF jumps, so I knew (I thought) most of what would happen in the air. Things are looking good. I'm feeling a bit scared but nothing that can't be managed and enjoyed a little. A taste of fear sharpens the senses. Blood flows swifter, adrenaline brings a focus that I don't feel that often. I start going over the dive with my tandem guy.
?
I can't wear my full face!?! (little voice in my head gets a little bit more shrill~the wind you fool! You won't be able to breathe! Back down! Go home! liberate tutemet ex inferis!) Oh, I might hit you in the mug with my helmet. OK, sounds good. I trust you.
Then comes the harness. Yegads that thing is tight. I endure, knowing that this tight ass harness is going to save my bacon. I try to crack a joke or two to relieve my tension. Apparently the harness doesn't make my butt look big, my big fat ass makes my butt look big. I have a smile on my face, at least. Tension level decreasing. I'm starting to feel the jump. Feel the wind, the acceleration of the plane on the runway, the vibrations and find myself beginning to look forward to this.
Time to board the plane: we walk towards the plane, oh noes! the voice is back, and this time he brought the butterflies (you can do it, it's only a minute or so of freefall and that damnable wind you can do it you really can). The plane is small inside. Didn't look that small walking up to it. It's all good though. John in front of me and Jim behind. I love these guys. (you just had to have that damn bean burrito last night, didn't you, ohmygodIhopeIdon'tfart)
Here we go!!! Fast, this plane is really fast. OK. Altimeter is working. Nice view. Time to go over the dive in my head again. Head back, arms crossed, kick John in the heiny. Ohcrapohcrap the wind is going to suffocate me. Shut up, inner voice!
A few thousand feet up the guy next to me opens the door, checks the spot, Later, bro! Wow, the wind!
Climbing, climbing. Is that a fucking jet? Holy shit that's close. There's a freaking jet out there passing us at around 5K, plowing through the cloud tops, can't be more than a mile away. Lesson learned: don't fuck with minimum visibility and look the hell out!
Oh shit, it's my turn! You can do this. You've done it before, you'll be fine. I take a few moments at the door to breathe. In. Out. In. Out. OK. This is no problem. Head in the wind and I'm still breathing. Let's do it!. Out. In. YEEEEFUCKINGHAWWW!!! I'm breathing! Oh shit! Can't see! Fucking wind is bouncing my goggles all over the place, dragging my glasses. Everything is bouncing. Can't let go of my goggles, gotta try this one handed.
Cloud bombing! Two clouds, space in between, this is AWESOME!!! I can see how fast we are going. All senses in over drive, (check alti) how cool is this! (check alti, getting close). So cool, words fail at this point. OK. 7K, locked onto altimeter. 6K, wave off, pull (damn that's hard), canopy!
I can let go of my goggles and enjoy (YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!) the ride.

Sorry for the long post, but it's been so long since I've jumped and this was so much fun and I really can't wait to get up there again, but this time as an AFF again.
Tandem: so much fun I want to crap myself. After the long break it was an unbelievable comfort knowing that I was attached to someone experienced. I honestly can't say that I would have been able to get up there again without this.
John, you ROCK! The entire staff there is just too wonderful to say. I jumped, I had more fun than I've had since my first jump. I felt good today.
Now I'm off to add that magical 1 to my jump number.
Here's to ya, everyone! I may not know you, I may not have met most of you yet, but I love you all. (no, I'm not drunk. Not yet, at least :P )