freakyrat

Skydiving Magazine and the US Postal System

Just curious, since Skydiving Magazine changed to the glossy paper I have had the North Houston US Postal Service bulk mail center just tear it up every month. Seems like they think it is like regular mail or a magazine and they run it through the automated sorting machines instead of sorting it by hand like they do newspapers.

So I'm taking a poll. For subscribers to Skydiving, has your magazine arrived in good condition or has it looked like it had been through a war zone?

Chris
Conroe TX

Just thought I'd let you all know that I spoke to someone at Skydiving Magazine and they are going to try to take care of the problem with the USPS. I put the poll up because I just wanted to find out if this problem was widespread or just isolated. Seems like from your answers it is just an isolated problem. Thank You

Chris
Conroe TX

Mine rarely arrives damaged, when I actually get it. But that's close to 50% of the time. I don't know if it's lost by the USPS, or dumped in the junk mail stack for my 15 unit apartment. Unfortunately if they don't wrap it in plastic, it looks like any other catalog. Looks great once it survives the trip, but sheesh, I'm tired of asking them to resend an issue non stop.

I'm going to let the subscription lapse until I move, or hear that it's gotten better.

I think I maybe got the problem solved with my Skydiving magazine. Thanks to Mike the letter carrier from OK that sent me the messages on how to solve this mess. Anyway I'll give it a couple of more months to see if the USPS can straighten things out. The problem is not with the magazine it's that the USPS is running it through the wrong type of sorting machine. It should be run through a flat machine that is made for newspapers.

Chris

Take the ripped one to your Postmaster. Tell him (her) that they are using the wrong sorting machine at the sorting center for it. Skydiving Magazine needs to be sorted in a machine designed for flats.

When Skydiving went to the glossy cover the USPS started using another type of sorting machine for mail and even though they still use a flat sorting machine for newspapers they are just ignorant when it comes to Skydiving magazine and run it through the new machine instead of the flat sorting machine.

After six months of getting my magazine ripped to shreds I finally got some satisfaction when I brought this to their attention and said that I would tape all the ripped one's to a picket sign and go down and picket the sorting center and call the local media on it.

Chris