lintern

AFF: long gap between level 5 & 6 - what should I do?

Having done 60 RAPS jumps and only ever getting as far as 3 second delays I made the choice to bite the bullet and get into more financial debt by doing AFF!

The problems I was having on RAPS was mainly due to sensory overload and worrying about having another mal. This caused me to have a poor body position on exit (dearching and pulling whilst on my back).

I had my first reserve ride on my 25th RAPS jump when the main had a line over caused by poor packing (not by me!).

I have done the first 5 levels of AFF and passed each level without doing any repeats - which Im very pleased about especially as I was always told I would never get past level 1! My confidence on RAPS got to an all time low but now I am slowly getting it back.

I now look back at RAPS with a negative view but thats another story.

However, I am starting to get concerned about the gap between my level 5 jump and the next level 6 jump I have to do.

The gap has been caused by bad weather.

I spent 1 week in Spain (Empuriabrava) when I started AFF but for the first 4 days I didnt jump because of bad weather.

Over the last 3 days I successfully passed levels 1 to 5.

Then the plan was to finish my AFF back at home in the UK (at Langar).

But since I got back from Spain 4 weeks ago the weather has been terrible.

So as the gap got longer and longer, although my finances were not up to it I ended up going back to Spain over easter hoping to pass level 8.

This was a very bad idea because everyday over easter the wind was too strong and no one jumped for the 4 days I was there - not even the experienced.

I am totally gutted especially as it has cost me so much money to go back to spain at a busy (and therefore expensive) time of year.

Depending on the weather for the coming weekend and the availablity of my instructor (who lives in Scotland) it will be a minimum of 5 weeks between my level 5 and level 6 jump.

And level 6 is the first solo exit and the dreaded backloop, so this concerns me as well as the gap between jumping.

Is this likely to be a problem ?

Should I repeat level 5 again or will I be OK?

Some people have told me that its like riding a bike - once you've done it you never forget.

But I dont want to do level 6 and have a bad, scary jump, as this could seriously knock my confidence much like the malfunction I had.

The thing that bugs me the most is the solo exit and whether I will be OK at getting stable by myself, as well as having to get stable again after the backloop.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My accelerated freefall is starting to feel more like decelerated freefall because its taking so long !

>it will be a minimum of 5 weeks between my level 5 and level 6 jump.

>Is this likely to be a problem ?

It may be; your instructor will talk to you and decide what's best for you. They will almost certainly do a refresher course, and may also do a level 3/4 (which are the critical ones) before going on to level 6. But that's up to them.

Last year we were about halfway through our AFF progression when we got weathered out. It was 29 days before we got back out and did another jump, and we were really worried that it was going to mess us up. In fact, everything went fine and all 4 of us passed that jumped and moved on. Your mileage may vary, but if you were pretty comfortable on your 5th jump, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just remember to RELAX and everything will be fine.

You will probably have to/want to repeat a jump, and that's not so bad. My level 5 was 1/31. Financial crap, blah, blah, blah, finally got back out this weekend 4/17 (talk about a long gap), repeated level 5, with refresher ground training, level 6-7, and viola!!!! All done. No worries and good luck!!!
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

And level 6 is the first solo exit and the dreaded backloop, reply]

Why dreaded ? Thats when it stopped being work and became fun for me . Backloops are a blast!!

I'm not sure how much you will need to repeat after your lay off but don't fear level 6. It's when it all comes together..

I'm an AFF instructor with over 1400 AFF dives.

In South Africa, if you've not jumped for 30 days - regardless of reason, you repeat the last level you passed, as well as recieving a full refresher including malfunction training in the suspended harness.

You're doing well, and by comparison to your RAPS jumps, your progression thus far has been excellent.
Ask your Instructor to repeat, build on that confidence and finish the program.

Don't forget to smile in the door.;)

t
It's the year of the Pig.