parapilot

Where to do AFF?

Hi All,

I am looking into doing an AFF towards the end of the Year (Sep / Oct time) and am looking into it now. I am in the UK and have decided to go abroad to do the training, due to cost and weather.

I have been looking at freefall university, and Deland in the US.

I am on a budget, so would need it to be as cheap as possible, but still having good instructors. I don’t want to comprise on safety.

US or Spain - or anywhere else???

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. There are so many choices and so much info out there it all gets confusing!

Cheers
Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

I don't really know enough to advise you where to go overseas, others on here will be able to help you with that.

One thing you need to consider (which you may not know about) is that that UK has just introduced a new canopy handling training system, part of which (the CH1 grade) is a requirement for an A licence. This means that the UK training syllabus now contains a range of exercises and skills development under canopy which may not be covered (or not in sufficient depth) at all overseas centres.

If you are considering going overseas for AFF it is well worth discussing your plans with the CCI at the UK centre you intend to return to in order to make sure this part of your training is covered and you can be integrated effectively into the UK system. Depending on the CCI's discretion, you could otherwise find your new licence not recognised until you have completed your canopy handling training, placing you on student status in the UK until that time. The centre you plan on returning to will be keen to help, but it will be much easier if you have discussed your options with them in advance of committing to a training venue etc.

Remember also that (as previously) the UK requires you to complete 10 consolidation jumps (consols) after AFF 8 before you are considered to have qualified, if you do not complete these overseas you are almost certain to be considered still a student in the UK till these are completed. You would need to be dispatched and supervised by an AFF instructor, and could only jump at a Club where regular AFF parachuting takes place and where AFF instructors are regularly available.

So certainly feel free to go overseas, you'll have a great time, but make sure you have discussed the plan for what happens when you return. Your local CCI may well be able to recommend places overseas that will satisfy the UK training requirements, or suggest questions to ask about the syllabus followed.

Best,

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

Maybe I'm a bit biased (though with absolutely no vested interest), but we put about 5 people a year through AFF in Gap (France) and I'd happily recommend the place to anyone. Kevin Hardwick the resident Brit instructor is top notch and it's a lovely DZ.

That aside, i'm sure the Spanish DZ's (Empuria etc)are good too, but i think Gap is cheaper - especially if any re-jumps are involved.

EDIT: Just noticed the time of year you're plannin on going - pay attention to the weather. Gap is in the Alps, Empuria might have wind issues etc... from that perspective the US-of-A might be better. Even more so given the exchange rate.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

What sweep says is worth noting. I did AFF in Spain, but still need to get my CH1 now that I'm back in the UK. My A license has to wait a little while, which doesn't bother me that much.

CH1 is no big deal, anyway. And by the time you read this, BPA-aware dropzones in Spain will probably be offering it.

Doing AFF in the UK, as often pointed out by others, is a bit hit-and-miss just because of the weather. There are plenty of good DZs with excellent instructors, it's just a matter of actually getting to jump when you need to. So, go somewhere else.

I asked the same question a while ago, and got some good responses here.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Thanks,

Good point about the CH1. Maybe foreign DZs will introduce this as an option? I am a paragliding instructor full time, and have flown almost 1000 hours, varying from high performance paragliders, to square parachutes / paracenders on accuracy approaches (even had a round reserve ride!) I feel I would be happy under the canopy Just want to get into the freefall aspect.

Looks like a 3 week trip to DeLand for the course and consolidation jumps is in order! I think even with flights it will work out similar to Spain for cost, and I have never been to the US, somewhere I would like to visit.

Cheers
Jamie

Slovakia is a great place to do AFF the cost is 1210 euro .
Jumps after that are realy cheap too and they have a lovely selection of planes from a turbolett to a glider.
food accommodation etc are almost free compared to here
Beer is only 40 cents a pint;)

http://www.skydive.sk/engl/fcenyev.html

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Yo, Kevin!

I assume you've been to the Slovak DZ. What's it like just to jump at? Are the fancy aircraft (glider and balloon) readily jumpable? Whats the mix of jumpers between freefly/fs and any kind of organised jumps?

I'm planning pop by there at some point (I speak Czech so i should be able to get by:S) and was just wondering what to expect!

Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Yea I have been there the last three years, and am going again on August 19th. All the planes are jumpable and are jumped most days if people are interested
freeflyers to relative is about 60 to 40 but this can cange with different groups coming and going
Verry friendly and helpfull staff
Oh yea there is also a delfin L29 jet that you can get a joyride in for about 350 euro

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing