tvo7

Stupid question

SO does this mean, that if I want to give myself a little more piece of mind when I take my classes, would I be able to ask the dropzone to put a 3rd chute on my chest? If they have one at the dropzone of course.

No....try tennis;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

SO does this mean, that if I want to give myself a little more piece of mind when I take my classes, would I be able to ask the dropzone to put a 3rd chute on my chest? If they have one at the dropzone of course.

No....try tennis;)

What he said. If you are that neurotic about the dangers involved in jumping the safest equipment we have ever had in the sport - stay on the ground. Asking for a third chute may get you bounced from the class anyway. There is no way to conveniently put a round reserve on your chest.

Let me try a slightly gentler approach to say basically the same the thing the last two posters have said.

If, after going through your first jump course, learning about the sport, the gear, emergency procedures, etc, you still do not feel that you can jump out of an airplane without a third parachute, perhaps the sport isn't for you.

However, you may be going through what a lot of people go through early in the sport - information overload. It's very easy to read everything out there and work yourself into a blind panic over all the things that can go wrong. It's not uncommon for students to ask themselves "why the hell am I doing this?" before every jump. Some push through that fear and discomfort to find the love of the sport that most of us have, others do not. Healthy respect for the dangers of the sport is one thing; blind panic is entirely another.

If you go through a first jump course, and ask for a third parachute even after having heard the risk/reward analysis that many very experienced jumpers have laid out for you here, you will very likely hear similar analysis from the instructional staff at your DZ. While it's good for students to be curious and to ask questions, it's also very important to remember that the people teaching you have the benefit of years of experience and are (most likely) using training methodologies that have been developed and improved over the years. Chances are they're going to know better than you. Respect that.

This sport is not for everyone. If you go through a first jump course and find it is not for you, that's okay. If you decide at any point in your student progression that this sport is not for you, that's okay. You will never have total peace of mind in this sport. If you can't live with that, this sport is not for you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

...You will never have total peace of mind in this sport. If you can't live with that, this sport is not for you.

Amen sistah, but I would guess that "peace of mind" is not what most of us are after....for me, it's that heavy adrenaline rush that sets my mind on fire!

WooooHooooo! DOOOOOR!

Nobody has mentioned the fun factor...it's all about having fun (and learning), yes?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I personally will be goign through the AFF ground school as an observer again soon. I do feel like i have the knowledge to complete the emergency procedures in time but now that i am at almost at 100 jumps feel like i can better understand the training.
If for nothing else than a review it can not hurt to sit for 6 hours again and review with some practical experiance...

Have Rig will travel ...