HydroGuy

Online study guide for USPA license exams?

Is there some kind of online study guide for B, C or D licenses?

I have the SIM and have looked over the sections they say are relevant to the exams, but I wondered if some computer loving instructor or whatnot had put together some sample questions so I know better what to expect.

How many questions are on the B or C license exams?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

[urlhttp://www.makeithappen.com/products/uspaexam.html]http://www.makeithappen.com/products/uspaexam.html[/url]

IIRC it's 25 for the B and 40 for the C
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

This is a general public service announcement regarding license test prep.

Don't ever spend money on a study guide. That would be a truly ridiculous thing to do. Appendix B of the SIM says what sections to study for each license. Study a bit, take the test, see how you do. If you fail, you take the very same test again the next weekend. No record of the failure is kept. And you will have gone over it so you best get 100% the second try.

The tests are generally very easy except for a few very specific questions. Most of em are obvious though.

25 questions on B and C and 40 on the D exam.

BTW, took (and passed) the D test today. WOOHOO! Only took 7 years... :)
Dave

Don't ever spend money on a study guide. That would be a truly ridiculous thing to do. Appendix B of the SIM says what sections to study for each license. Study a bit, take the test, see how you do. If you fail, you take the very same test again the next weekend. No record of the failure is kept. And you will have gone over it so you best get 100% the second try.

The tests are generally very easy except for a few very specific questions. Most of em are obvious though.

Test prep is a common issue. I covered it in the S&TA area of The Ranch web site as Article 4 "License Exams" available at: http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php.

Start with the SIM guidelines, add my points, check-in with the Make It Happen site and relax. The exams really are easy and failure is nothing more than a temporary pain in the butt.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

This is a general public service announcement regarding license test prep.

25 questions on B and C and 40 on the D exam.

BTW, took (and passed) the D test today. WOOHOO! Only took 7 years...

The Study Guide for USPA License Exams is a convenience and educational product.
Instead of rifling through pages, the user gets the appropriate sections displayed immediately. Users read the same material and then some. It is in a much more convenient form. That's what they are buying - the convenience. They get the same education as they would flipping through pages of a manual.

Also this is not a great invention of mine. It is done for many other standard exams, from MS cert exams, GRE, CLEP, SAT, ACT exams to FAA certificate exams.

Besides, Dave, you have never even used or seen my product. How can you say it does not have benefit? You can see a sample at Words, Words, Words

I am also working on making the exams more comprehensive and having several versions of each exam. This is part of my volunteer service to USPA and jumpers. I want jumpers to learn more, read more and be better educated because that will enhance the safety of jumpers.

I am tired of reading about people not executing proper EPs, doing low turns, going too far downwind, etc, etc etc. I want to educate them. I do that on several fronts. In this area, I change the exams through the S&T Comm. I also provide a educational assistant, in much the same way, tunnel time, RW coaches, CRW coaches, FF coaches or CC coaches provide additional instruction and guide instruction for an additional fee.

The only reason you 'complain' about it, is because the exams are 'easy'. People everywhere are saying 'more education - more education' will prevent mishaps. A harder set of exams will provide more education.

Congrats on passing the D exam. Did you know that most of the questions on that exam are repeats from the B & C exams? But that won't last for long.

A recent quote from a new jumper is:

I wish all the information in the ISP section were organized by content rather than by dive category. It's only well organized for someone that is doing those cat by cat. I didn't do the ISP, and I want to use the SIM as a reference. It sucks for trying to find the answer to a single question. The answer might be in the ISP, it might be in section 5 or 6, or it might be in the FARs in the appendix. And to find it you have to read through a lot of stuff that is no longer very relevent. Very easy to gloss right by.

Study Guide for USPA License Exams is a great way to avoid this frustration, at least for the topics covered on the exams.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I've got nothing against electronic study guides... I've bought a few of them, including one for the private pilot written.

But seriously, the SIM lists every section of the SIM needed for each exam. It's already very straight forward. It's all in one book, available for free (are all necessary sections included in the free version?). And with the D test, you can get 10 wrong and still pass. I'm not sure there were 10 questions on the exam I wouldn't have known if I hadn't specifically studied for the test. I didn't study every recommended section... just high altitude, exhibition jumps, FARs (the SIM even says specifically what FARs to study...there were only ~5), and a few other sections I hadn't read in a while.

Got 3 wrong... ironically 2 of em were repeats or very similar to questions from the B or C tests.

I bet if I bought your product and used it I woulda gotten 100%. But I don't think it would have saved me even one minute, and it wouldn't have helped me pass the test, since I coulda done that without cracking the SIM I think.

As for making the tests harder and more relevant, go for it!

But as it is, no matter how hard the test is, you can retake it in a week. As I said before, if you fail it once, you better get 100% on the second try because you've seen the answers. Learning the material is the important part, not passing the test.

Dave

Thanks for the responses.

The article from The Ranch that Tom linked to actually answered a lot of my questions...basically told me to focus on the unique B license attributes...ie opening altitudes, landing field clearances etc.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

The article from The Ranch that Tom linked to actually answered a lot of my questions...basically told me to focus on the unique B license attributes...ie opening altitudes, landing field clearances etc.

Plus heavy coverage of the FAR's and BSR's.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy