peskymac

Tandem harness question

I just completed my second tandem jump in the AFP. I have one more tandem dive to go and I'd like to ask for some advice about making the jump a little more comfortable for me.

When I'm pulled upward by the parachute and sink into the harness, the chest strap always ends up across my throat. The first time I jumped it wasn't too bad because I wasn't expected to do anything but just go along for the ride, and I could pull the strap away from throat. For my second jump, I was expected to help steer the canopy which didn't leave my hands free and the strap really constricted my breathing, and my jumpmaster released the strap as much as he could. Of course, because I couldn't breathe very well, I got light-headed and that made it very difficult to concentrate on learning to steer the canopy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might try for my next tandem jump to keep the strap from riding up?

Is this something that regularly happens when jumping solo, too?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might try for my next tandem jump to keep the strap from riding up?

Is this something that regularly happens when jumping solo, too?

I'm certainlyy no expert, and your mileage may vary, but every time I've had the harness/chest strap ride up on me, it meant that I didn't tighten the leg straps enough. Be it on my student rig or the pro shop gear I'm renting until my own gear comes in, every time I've REALLY tightened the leg straps, I never have a problem. If I don't REALLY tighten them down, the second the chute comes out, the chest strap becomes the neck strap.

Hope that helps!

Really depends on what system you are jumping, but I have found that the chest strap on my student can get a little on the higher side for a couple of reasons. One is that the legs straps are not tight enough, like ntrprnr said. Another reason is that the diagonals across the back are tightened more than the main lift webs, so that when you are suspended in the tandem harness more of the front of the harness is being pulled up (this is specific to the Sigma system, others could vary but as far as I know not by much) than the rear, putting the chest strap closer to the neck.

Talk to your tandem instructor, I bet if you let them know what is happening when you are under canopy they can change the adjustments before you go up to make you more comfortable.

As far as solo jumps if the rig is too big you can run into this problem as well, but with a properly fit rig it shouldn't be an issue.
Hope this helps...
Miami

Have your TI really tighten the Main Lift Webs down after you are connected. You can also have them tighten them down again after opening. You pull down on the ends of the straps while the TI lifts your weight up by your leg straps. Lastly, loosen the chest strap after opening. Between the three, you will be much more comfortable. Also makes stand-up landings easier.

Derek

Check to see if the chest strap is adjustable in the latteral postion -able to move it up and down. The chest strap is most comfortable if it is about 3-4 finger spaces below you chest. Most of the tandem rigs and passenger harnesses are adjustable. I have jumped a vector and sigma (almost the same rig) and they are both adjustable.
drakeshelby