incode

Stretching

ok does anyone here have any good tip on stretching befor jumping I have had a back problem for a few years not and after my last jump i was in quite a bit of pain in my lower back and want to know some preventative steps i can take to make sure i dont repeat this again so any tips so stretching or anything i can do would be great :) thanx

I also have lower back pain after jumps. Some things I found helped me was limiting myself to 2 jumps a day tops, and stretching for a good 10-15 min before going up. Touching your toes with alternate hands, and bending over while grabbing the backs of your knees seems to work really well for targeting that area, although im sure other people will chime in with plenty others. Hope this helps!

I swear by this before I jump or run (11 marathons under my belt.)

Stand up straight. Cross one leg over the other, like you were making a triangle - foot, knee, and hip are the three points. Then slowly, with the other leg, sit down. Hold onto something to start. You'll feel the stretch deep inside the leg, all through out the crossed leg. Hold for 10 seconds. Stand fully up. Do the other leg. Repeat about 3 times.

Also helps my sore ass, which you can read about in another post. :)

The key to a good reduce 90% of backpain is to develop a well trained strong midsection. You dont have to have a six pack or anything like that...but make sure you do some crunches, sit ups, leg lifts etc...

This should work well, but do not overtrain the abs either or they will be very sore and it will be counter productivel.

It might also help to 'warm up' before stretching and getting on the plane.

Walk around for 10 minutes or so, nothing so strenuous you can't have a normal conversation with someone, but enough to loosen you up. When your body is warm it'll allow more flexibility and lubricate everything nicely. At this point do some stretches, dont bounce a stretch or push too far in a direction your body doesnt want to go. If you do this regularly at home you'll improve your flexibility very quickly and greatly reduce your likelihood of other muscle strains. Do a generic search for warmup exercises on pretty much any fitness site for ideas.

Follow what everyone else said about Ab work, thats going to help strengthen your lower back. Do straight crunches and twist crunches.

Another really easy ab and lower back exercise is simply to take a broom handle, lay it across your shoulders (to keep them straight) and turn left and right, dont whip yourself around but if you just turn left and right for 10 minutes while you tense your abs lightly you'll start feeling it get a workout. I mention it because she has some back issues also and this helped her. Just throw some music on and do it.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

This is a great book I bought after hurting my back last year. It's got dozens, maybe hundreds of stretches in it for every conceivable muscle in your body (try the face stretches!). Well worth the $, it has helped me with my back pain a lot. In case that link doesn't work, it's called Stretching, by Bob Anderson. Has great illustrations too.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The best thing to "cure" lower back pain (assuming it's not from nerve/bone damage) is many, many situps.

Word. Look at a skeleton. There is NOTHING where your lower back is but a house of cards we call "vertibrae." Serious abs will give you a lower back that can take the load. Those guys (and girls) who look like (or are) they are 6 months pregnant are screwing their backs.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

If you are able to...do not just focus on stretching only your low back..an all around stretching will help more than anything... For you low back however:
Lay on your back and bring your knees to your chest...you can then also slowly lower your legs to one side to get a diff. stretch... I would also recommend seeing a massage therapist, one that specializes in neuromuscular and clinical therapy (deep tissue), and Thai massage (assisted yoga)...
Hope you get to feeling better!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

The best thing to "cure" lower back pain (assuming it's not from nerve/bone damage) is many, many situps.

Word. Look at a skeleton. There is NOTHING where your lower back is but a house of cards we call "vertibrae." Serious abs will give you a lower back that can take the load. Those guys (and girls) who look like (or are) they are 6 months pregnant are screwing their backs.

t

True. Losing a few pounds (assuming you have some to lose, I don't know) also helps - personal experience here.

thanx guys you have been a great help im going to try alot of this at the DZ tomorrow and see how i go. as for loosing weight im 5'10 and weigh only 60kg's so i dont realy have any to loose :) but i will concentrate on working my abb's and stretching befor my jumps :) thanx again

One thing I usually do at the gym is hang from a pull up bar where my feet don't touch the ground and try to relax all my muscles except for the ones I need to hold on, obviously. It's amazing the stuff you'll feel cracking especially the older you get.

When I'm at the dropzone I'll stand at the end of one of the picnic tables and hold myself up trying to let my feet dangle as much as possible and maybe arch a little. This usually allows for a nice stretch.

Facebook