Sled14

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I'm currently a student about to start cat E jumps, so far have 7. I did them in Orange, VA kinda close to my home (really good dropzone). Anyway I'm in Jersey now for school and am contemplating weather to go home for jumping or go to a place around here. Being closer to school jumping in Jersey would be easier and save me alot of $$$ on gas, but am not sure for training if I should do all of it at one dropzone. Any suggestions?

Also, any recomendations for drop zones in Jersey? I heard Crosskeys is a great place but I am closer to NY than Philly.

There is something to be said for staying with the same instructors who can monitor your progress until you complete AFF. However, many people can't do that, for reasons such as yours, and they all manage to get through AFF just fine if they decide to switch to a different DZ

There are several very good DZs within an easy drive of where you live that would be good at which to continue your training. Use DZ.com's dropzone locator. (Click on the "Dropzones" button on the menu bar) Give them a call, and even visit some of them to get a feel for what each one has to offer.

Would I have to go through training like a days worth like the first AFF because I'm new to the dropzone or would they make me do an extra jump and review my history to prove where I'm at in training?

Talk to one of the head instructors at one of the new dropzones. Bring your logbook and he/she should tell you straight out what you'll have to do.

I was in a similar situation as yours a few months back. I did 12 jumps under the static line program at a small dropzone. Then I moved to SoCal and did 13 more at Perris and got my A. I had to start at AFF level 3 in Perris which made it a little expensive, but I got better training. So it can be done. My only regret was leaving the friends I'd made on the farm.