Jeth

How much you pay for a demo?

I used a demo canopy this weekend (brand new Safire2!), and I was just wondering if what I paid is the norm for this. So....

How much did you pay for a main demo canopy and how long did you get to keep it for that price?
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Nothing, and I kept it for three jumps. Probably could have kept it longer but I was done jumping for the day and switched it back out for my own main at that time.

(This was at a boogie, and if someone else had been looking to demo that size I might have needed to return it sooner).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Performance Designs offers demo's for $30 (excluding return shipping). That $30 gets the canopy to your doorstep and in your possession for 2 weekends. Demo page

Edit: At boogies that vendors are attending they are free (at least I've never seen a vendor charge)

Blues.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

I used a demo canopy this weekend (brand new Safire2!), and I was just wondering if what I paid is the norm for this. So....

How much did you pay for a main demo canopy and how long did you get to keep it for that price?

I got a Sabre2 for 2 weekends for about 50$ (Return shipping included).

Performance Designs offers demo's for $30 (excluding return shipping). That $30 gets the canopy to your doorstep and in your possession for 2 weekends. Demo page

Edit: At boogies that vendors are attending they are free (at least I've never seen a vendor charge)

Blues.

Awww, bummer! Guess I shoulda got a PD! :( I paid double that for 2 weekends. Well now I just hope the weather cooperates and I can put more jumps on it next weekend and get my money's worth!!
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Sometimes just shipping costs, sometimes nothing (demo'd at a boogie), sometimes $25-35. Depends on where, etc. Boogie demos were usually for 4 hours otherwise it was a weekend demo.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Awww, bummer! Guess I shoulda got a PD! I paid double that for 2 weekends.

If I remember correctly though, the Icarus price includes shipping whereas the PD price is just the canopy. When I did it the two figures worked out almost exactly the same.

Awww, bummer! Guess I shoulda got a PD! I paid double that for 2 weekends.

If I remember correctly though, the Icarus price includes shipping whereas the PD price is just the canopy. When I did it the two figures worked out almost exactly the same.

Well mine didn't involve shipping because I got the demo from our gear shop. They have a permanent collection of Icarus demo's cuz they are a factory-authorized service provider or whatever.
Thats actually why I was wondering about prices -- since I got mine from our gear shop I was wondering if its cheaper to go directly thru the mfr.
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

In that case if you'd have gone direct to PD for a demo you would have had to pay shipping on the canopy anyway - which would have brought the total paid up to the same as you paid for the local Icarus demo price.

Ah well... hope you liked the canopy though.

In that case if you'd have gone direct to PD for a demo you would have had to pay shipping on the canopy anyway - which would have brought the total paid up to the same as you paid for the local Icarus demo price.

Ah well... hope you liked the canopy though.

Ok, thats cool. I did like it!! Very nice openings! I don't wanna give it back now... ;):P
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

To be technical, the PD demos are free. When you order a demo from them, you are paying them for the shipping to you ($30), and then you send it back on your own dime.

Did you really pay $60 to use a demo canopy that the DZ had, or were you renting a canopy? There is a difference. For instance, the Squares (1,2, and 3) will rent you a canopy, but if you are demo'ing, looking to buy, it is free.

Demos from Aerodyne:

When we are at boogies we don't charge for the use of our demos. At very busy boogies, we may ask you to kick in for the pack job, or have it packed on the last pack job by a specific packer, and that can run you $5 or $6. Usually though if it slow we cover the pack job, or do it ourselves.

For our mail order demos it is $40 bucks for one weekend but this includes shiping to you, there is a lable in the box, you just stuff it back in the box when you are done, stick that lable on and call which ever carrier we used to ship it to you, your $40 bucks paid for round trip shipping, with no hassel on your end.

Then there are distributor demos and dz demos that we sell our distributors at a special price to encourage them to have our products on hand to demo. With these is is up to the discression of the DZ / individual distributor to set the price. Sometimes they are free, some times if you have a deal to buy your gear from them they don't charge, sometimes they treat it just like a rental, it really just depends on them and the sitch.

We have all of our canopy sizes and models available for mail order demo, if you go to our website you can see what demos may be in your area from one of our dropzone partners, and our distributor partners. The reps on the road usually have a pretty good assortment, depending on the boogie location, if they are doing more than one event in different locations on the same weekened, that sort of thing. (they also usually have a small assortment of Icons)

for a mail order demo email: [email protected]

If you want Aerodyne to visit your DZ email: [email protected] or me [email protected] or if you are in Europe [email protected]

If you are talking about what price would you buy a demo for; in the case of Aerodyne, we sell our demo's when they get about 100 to 200 jumps on and usually sell them for around $1200 or just slightly more or less depending on the condition of the canopy.

Word up G,
later.
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

Did you really pay $60 to use a demo canopy that the DZ had, or were you renting a canopy? There is a difference. For instance, the Squares (1,2, and 3) will rent you a canopy, but if you are demo'ing, looking to buy, it is free.

Well, thats what I am trying to figure out. I think they basically treated this more like a rental. I didn't tell them that I was looking to buy one. It was definitely cheaper than renting an entire rig from them so I guess thats fine. But I think maybe they should just say its a rental instead of charging for a demo, since it sounds like most of the fee for a demo is usually to cover shipping, which doesn't apply in this case.
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site