incode

need help friend wants to start AFF but has ear problems

I took a friend out for their first jump last weekend but after the jump she was in alot of pain from her ear, i convinced her to get it checked and she found she had ruptured it. She is very keen on starting her AFF soon so what i want to know is, is there a way for her to protect her ears or even jump with a condtion like this? she wont be jumping till it heals but are there was to provent it from happening again, maybe ear plugs?
Any help would be great, she is distressed because she is addicted :ph34r:

she has had some ear problems since she was a child so i advised her to talk to her doctor and he is one of the many that think people are insain for jumping out of planes and did not realy help or give any answers to her. I persionaly think she should see another doctor but thats just me ;)

There's a couple of doctors on the DZ. I don't think any are GPs, but they should at least be able to direct you to an aviation-knowledgable professional that could give your friend a sensible opinion.

That's the important part. Incode's friend needs to speak to a doctor that is practiced in Aviation Medicine.

If you contact the FAA, they can give you a list, and I'm sure they have a list on their website as well.

Edited to add: Sorry, just noticed you're in OZ, so you'd contact your goverment aviation authority.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Yeah I agree - go find a doc practicing in aviation medicine who understands the changes in air pressure and its effect on the ear.

A lot of adult skydivers have had problems with their ears as kids (infections in particular) and skydive safely as adults. A thorough check up is advised - the ear is a complex organ and not worth ending up deaf in one ear as a result of negligence.

On the other hand it may be simple i.e. she may have had flu recently and the rupture was due to a blocked Eustachian tube (which is necessary for decompression as you fall through tha air). In that case medication works well.

Best advice is to see a doc.

Cheers
Doc Rich
---------------------------------------
Everything that happens to you in life is your teacher. The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught.

I agree. I had to end my training last year after setting a personal high for jumps in one day because of trauma to my ear. It may be something as small as trying to remember on the ride down to plug your nose and blow out your ears.

And no I'm not a doctor but I've dated a few.....stay away from them.

If she has eustacian problems a decongestant might help a little. The other way to gain the ability to equalize is to put in a "tube" thru the ear drum. This would allow for the freeflow of pressure. The biggest problem is the likelyhood of infection with an open tympanic membrain and scarring causing hearing loss.

As an aviation professional one might need to explore this as an option but for sport it would not be adviseable.

Foam earplugs don't help. They reduce the amount of tympanic stress caused by the noise but won't keep the drum pressurized if the eustacian is closed. The silicone ones might be better.

jon

Yo Nik, Try Dr. Kate, Dr. John or Dr. Claire if any of them around. you'll probably have more luck finding Dr. Claire than anyone else. I haven't seen Dr. John or Dr. Kate in months but Claire was there last week. She freeflys, has an english accent, ask around... I dunno if she'll be able to help much, she's a surgeon not a GP, but she might have a clear idea of where to go for help. :)

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Yo Nik, Try Dr. Kate, Dr. John or Dr. Claire if any of them around. you'll probably have more luck finding Dr. Claire than anyone else. I haven't seen Dr. John or Dr. Kate in months but Claire was there last week. She freeflys, has an english accent, ask around... I dunno if she'll be able to help much, she's a surgeon not a GP, but she might have a clear idea of where to go for help. :)

Hey Lainey,

Not that I am Dr Claires personel assistant or anything, but she's not going to be at piction until next year, as she heads off to Coffs Harbour this weekend to work for 3 months....

But on a positive note, I will be at Picton all weekend, however I know fuck all about ears....:D
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Hey Oli! Awe she should have said something last week, i had no idea she wasn't going to be around for a while, I would have said a more fitting goodbye.

Well you'll simply have to learn all you can about ears in the mean time and fill Dr. Claire's shoes... it's the only course of action. AND make sure you get me a team cupcake! Anybody would think i do nothing in the team! first you guys leave me out of the jumpsuit buying thing, then i'm missing out on the treats... sheesh boy. :P

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie