azureriders

ambidextrous feet

After a couple spinning skydives and some great video work, my instructors have pin pointed my problem. My left foot keeps rideing up with a slight drop of the same knee. During a hard arch with good effort towards legs out, my heading is great. As soon as I begin to relax then up comes my left foot. My instructors have been through all the questions about previous injury, which there have been none. Then they asked about any noticeable differences from one leg to the other as for balance etc. I am in construction and climb structures for a living, I can assure you my balance is WAY above average one either leg or both. So we continue to search for a reason. Over the last few days I have made a discovery, my legs don't function the same. When I stand on only one leg and rest the other, it is all most always the left that gets rested. When I take a knee, it is always the right knee that hits the floor. There have been other things as well but no reason to list them all.

I was just wondering if any of you out there have had any of these problems, or if you are "one footed" does it affect your flying? If so, does anybody have any helpful suggestions?

I have no doubt that with some stretching exercises and some practice in the air that I will work this out, but any insist would be appreciated.

Some people do favor one foot over the other, but it’s usually not a big deal. Most of us don’t really pay attention to our feet or use them for anything more complex than walking, so awareness is often limited. Anything you can do to build leg awareness on the ground will help, and anything that involves being horizontal while drilling legs is ideal. In the winter I teach snowboarding where legs are almost everything, so we are quicker to pick up on the favoring of one side or the other.

There isn’t a lot of science to this stuff, at least with regard to skydiving, so drills are improvised and may or may not actually work. Here’s an idea I’ve deployed in the past: Try laying on the floor in a relaxed arch with both feet up. Don’t worry so much about pushing your pelvis out because at this point the drill is to work on your legs in isolation. Move your feet around and try to understand where they are, first using toe taps, then without. Eyes open at first, then closed. If you have a friend handy, prop a can or something small and non-harmful on top of your left foot, then right foot, and try moving your foot forward and back, then side to side, while balancing the can. Have your friend push gently against your knee or shin to simulate slight wind pressure from below. If you can progress the exercise to the end of a bed or table where your knees have a tendency to drop, you will be able to work on holding them up too.

I’d also suggest a wind tunnel, but that’s expensive and requires some travel. The SkyVenture tunnel in Orlando is best, but FlyAway in Pigeon Forge will also work, and the road system to get to Tennessee is probably better right now.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

My right leg is way more coordinated than the left. I Waterski and used to skateboard with my left foot forward allowing most of the control with my right foot/leg. Your grandmother could probably ski or skate better than me if I have to put my right foot in front. So far this has had no noticeable effect on my skydiving.
James

Alm ost all people favor one foor over the other.
Ask any barefoot waterskier. All tricks are devided into the 'basic' and
'offside'.

Sure, but it's not a compelled issue.

Most folks do have a preference, but at the early stages of learning something it doesn't really matter. Most of my snowboarding students have no idea which foot should be forward and the standard field tests don't answer the question. So, we start 'em duck and let the favored foot slide into position later on. Some folks, especially those with wakeboarding, surfing, or skateboarding backgrounds do have a favored foot, and that's fine too.

I started snowboarding after skysurfing, and the skysurf board I started with was set-up goofy (right foot forward). Thus, I started snowboarding as a goofy footed rider. I built that style so deeply that when years later I tried riding regular (left foot forward) it was a hard transition. Now, I try to get my students riding switch as soon as possible so they don't build up a deep foot preference. At this point I've done so much switch riding that I'll find myself riding down the mountain and forget which foot "is supposed" to be forward.

I guess the answer here is that foot preference is real at some level but for most of us it doesn't really matter, and it isn't a huge issue in skydiving unless there is a leg injury or handicap.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thanks for all the input. This is just all new to me as I have never had such a problem before. I have been water skiing all my life, two skis, solemn (right or left foot forward) and even get up on two skies and then drop one (either one) and go to solemn. I have always been active in many sports and hobbies (as most skydivers are) and have never had a problem with leg corrdination. As I think about it though, there is almost no other sport that requires your legs to be symmetrical. Skiing with either foot forward is still ONE foot forward. Skydiving requires both feet to be in the same exact place and that is what seems to be giving me trouble.

Again thanks for the input, and don't worry too much, I will figure it out.

Here's an idea...probably won't work but couldn't hurt to try...you said you always use the one foot to lean on and the one knee to kneel on...maybe you can become more aware of which leg you're always putting weight on during the day and when you see you're doing it, try to use the other leg/foot. Maybe that'll balance it out....or it could just be a dumb idea;)

update to those who may be interested:

I made another jump yesterday and was really pleased with the outcome. I slowed everything down a whole lot and concentrated on leg awareness. because of all the storms here i have not been able to be as current as I would like and my instructors wanted me to do 3 prcp's because of this. I slowed down so much, working on heading between ea prcp, that after completion there was not much time for a release. In debriefing I learned that the primary instructor had waved the secondary off at 7500 but the secondary was not as comfortable with my position and did not release. Only once did I begin to turn enough to speak of and I stoped it in less than 90 degrees.

Next dive flow is only one prcp and then hoover control. I have no doubt about being stable enough for release with this much time and then on to the next level.