skipro101

Unexplained Hook Turns

If you run straight ahead, the canopy will continue to be pushed downwind, and you'll get pulled over.

When landing downwind, you need to run off your landing at the same angle the canopy was flying - NOT the same angle the canopy was pointing.

_Am

Yep. Working on Billvons list, I have done a few crosswinders and this has happened to me. Kind of interesting when just after the first step in the wrong direction you trip over your own feet and are suddenly sliding on the grass on your side. :D The brain says you are going straight but really you are not. May take some getting used to.

Have just witnessed Scott Millers course.Was real surprised about how jumpers thought after each jump.Come backs like"I didn't know that" and "That was really Cool",made my day.It is a more interesting course now that I have seen it working.Learn as much as you can.He even answered a long standing question I had about "Stalling" ellipticals.You Don't!When he explained why,(I knew it was unsave)I was real impressed with his knowledge of what happens when you try to recover from such a radical input.My hats off to him!

...the one that learn to swoop and one wrong move 3 ft too low and it´s over...

well, I think the first wrong move would be only giving yourself a 3ft margin of error.

Point taken, but that's part of what makes swooping dangerous, and not entirely avoidable if you insist upon swooping.

The difference between skimming accross the ground with your legs underneath you, or skimming the ground with your legs pulled up as far as you can get them is about 3 feet.

Swoop much higher, and it's not really a swoop, plus the end of your swoop might range from interesting to injurious as you run out of lift and drop to the ground.

Swoop much lower, and it's likely to range from injurious to incompatible with survival.

Note that swooping too high is the lesser of two evils here.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

The difference between skimming accross the ground with your legs underneath you, or skimming the ground with your legs pulled up as far as you can get them is about 3 feet.

While this is true, the difference between a crash and a safe landing is not determined by the above mentioned 3 feet. It's a continuous assessment process. Once you start the last turn, be it 90°, 180° or more, you are checking that the height is there to complete the manouver. If not, you abort the turn and land. You have much more than 3 feet of height to play with. The process of planing the canopy out takes time and should be done with smooth inputs that allow you to control how the canopy planes out. If you are a bit low maybe a bit more input is needed. If you are a bit high, maybe no input is needed. It's a bit like using the brakes on a car, gentle input and you bring the car to a stop just a couple of feet short of impact with the car in front.

Disclaimer: I have only recently started learning swoop techniques so take my 2 cents worth with a pinch of salt.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl