Jackpunx

Exits!

what are some of the best exits for a new guy.. I should have my A this weekend or the next and plan on jumping with people as much as possible..
I have done.. I think they call it a star (with an coach) and AFF jumps..
but I was thinking of intersting ways to get out of the plane..

Another question.. I saw an RW vid.. one guy was hands to other guys feet.. Looked like they got in close and started to track or something.. Do you guys do that?
can it be done?

First get used to "freeflying your exits", I mean exit unlinked and get used to watching the plane while facing it. Next get used to diving while others are hanging outside of the plane.

You really need practice getting to a formation rather than holding on to someone on exit. Once you can do that, now you can worry about exits. Being rear float on an exit is usually the easiest. Front float is usually the hardest. Rear float is when you're outside of the plane toward the back. All you have to do is drop off of the plane. Check my web site to watch some examples of people exiting an Otter. Welcome to the world of skydiving, kiss your money goodbye. Peace.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

You'll probably find it hard to find people to jump with at first. Find other low timers and jump your arse off. Once people see that you're there alot and serious about skydiving they'll give you a chance and jump with you.

I believe there's a learning "hump" that you have to get over to become a skilled skydiver, whether you're going to freefly or do rw. The only way to get better is to jump alot. If you're planning on doing 5 jumps a month you'll probably never improve. Try to get at least 200 jumps this first year. You'll overcome any fear you have very quickly, and that's good for safety. I know guys with 1000 jumps who seem like they have 50. I started slow and didn't improve until I started doing 30 jumps a month. If you get 200 jumps this year you'll be pretty skilled, then you can slow down a little bit and retain your skills. I know it's off the subject, but I feel that racking up the jumps in a short amount of time is the only way to get good and really enjoy skydiving. Soon everyone will be trying to get you to jump with them.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

You'll probably find it hard to find people to jump with at first.

This here is a sad sad statement... :S I'm still a lowtimer but I pray I never get tired of doing jumps with low time jumpers...

Regarding exits... how you exit the plane all depends on what you want out of the skydive. Floating exits where you are stable (belly to earth and head up) are great for larger unconnected formations. Diving out (something I'm not to great at...) are also important for those times when you're in the glory spot (last on out of the plane) on a 16 way (for example... like I was once...B|)

When I do hop & pops I like to play with unstable/semistable exits, like corkscrews, backflips, that sort of thing... more or less...

the most important thing to keep in mind is to relax and have fun!!! :)
if you want some ideas... the begining of the video linked below has several exit shots from a caravan and an otter.

http://www.scottgunshell.com/Vids/Dynamics%20of%20a%20Skydive.wmv
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You'll probably find it hard to find people to jump with at first. Find other low timers and jump your arse off.

I just wanna say that I kept on seeing this on dz.com. Boy, was I surprised at the number of people with a few hundred jumps (ok maybe not 1000s and super-experienced, but certainly with a few hundred RW dives) happy to jump with me! And not just when I asked, but offering too... (and for the sceptics, no not only guys)

Once people see that you're there alot and serious about skydiving they'll give you a chance and jump with you.

Well, they can see this anyway on a small DZ, even if you're a student pitching up regularly, so maybe that's where i got lucky. Or maybe we just have nicer skydivers here :P

Sorry to extend a topic off the original thread, but just felt i had to say this. Don't just assume no-one wants to jump with you. Ask! What's the worst that can happen, they can say no?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I agree with you man, I'm happy to jump with the lower number people who just are getting their A.

Regarding exits, you probably have done a few solos and hopefully have been able to pull of a stable on heading exit more than once. I did a ton of solo exits before I started exits with more than just me. It's just lately that I've started to try many different exit types. It all depends on the plane you jump out of as well. I think I have brain lock today, my post is getting crappier by the word.
Watch others exits and try the ones you think you want to do.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Thanks to all that posted. My experience so far has been amazing.. On My first solo I was cornered by one of the local Load Organizers who said.. "If I catch you jumping alone I'll embarrass you publicly.. Come see me as soon as you get your A.. I want to be first"..
This guy and his buddies have all been really cool to me as I have progressed.. I have been able to pull off 4-6 jumps every time I go out (once or twice a week)
As far as my exits... I’m having a blast and been able to exit stable and as planned just about every time.. So I’m ready to start learning from other people now..
There is a small group of newbie’s that I have made friends with also.. I’m not sure how much we can learn from each other.. It should be fun though and that’s why Im doing this.
Icon134,
I saw one of your posts and logged onto your website to watch your vids.. This was the reason for my questions..
Thanks for having that up;)
Mark

Regardless of position in the door the most important principle you need to think about is presentation - placing your body properly on relative wind. In case of RW exits (I assume you will not be learning how to freefly for next hundred jumps or so) you should always leave the plane with your belly facing the wind. You already learned this skill on first AFF dives - now you can apply it to launch different exits form different positions.

Try to exit as a floater (outside the plane) or diver (inside the plane) and always think about presenting right on GO instead of jumping out and then trying to present (very common mistake).

When you start jumping with your friend and exit small formations (2-way is a biggest you should do at the beginning) remember that you still need to present properly even if you are holding on to somebody.

Jumping with your buddies of similar skill level is a lot of fun but remember that the best way to learn is to jump with more experienced people (ideally with a coach). This way you will learn much faster.

Look at this site if you want to see some fantastic RW exits;)

http://www.skyleague.com/pages/images/nslTV/index.php?PHPSESSID=747d761bc563cfea4fdf2dc656d87be0

Edit to add:

I just realized that you jump at Perris. Dude, you will soon be teaching me how to exit stable B|

I just wanna say that I kept on seeing this on dz.com. Boy, was I surprised at the number of people with a few hundred jumps (ok maybe not 1000s and super-experienced, but certainly with a few hundred RW dives) happy to jump with me! And not just when I asked, but offering too...

You are a girl right? ;)

You are a girl right? ;)

Yes, which is why i made sure to add

(and for the sceptics, no not only guys)

and there is a guy who was doing AFF with me who has also had plenty offers to jump with other people B|
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.