NickDG

Look What landed at Cal City . . .

For my own information (because I've been following the Rocket-EZ a bit) what was the distance of that hop?

And, the problem with the rocket-EZ is there's no room for a single passenger, let alone skydivers, with gear, plural. Apparently there's these big ol' rocket engines / fuel tanks in the way. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

>>the problem with the rocket-EZ is there's no room for a single passenger, let alone skydivers<<

Great more ammo for the Brits that we are humor impaired. ;)

Mojave airport is about ten miles from Cal City.

The first rocket plane ever built was by the Germans toward the end of WW II, there's a photo of it here:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/446273785/446298624gdpiYQ

NickD :)BASE 194

The first rocket plane ever built was by the Germans toward the end of WW II, there's a photo of it here:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/446273785/446298624gdpiYQ

It's a good thing we conquered the Nazi's when we did, before they could employ that plane... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

They employed it. Unfortunately, several issues caused it not to have a significant effect (this is from memory, so details may be incorrect):

• It was deployed too late in the war

• Fuel supply issues; the Germans were running out

• It was too fast: it went through the Allied bomber squadrons so quickly that not only could the Allies not shoot it down, the pilot couldn't shoot down the bombers!

• It had a tendency to explode on landing

Actually they did employ those planes, they just weren't very efficient. They had very limited amount of fuel used in the first 3 or 4 minutes to get to altitude, then sniped at planes as they glided down, so they weren't long in the air and their gliding sucked. Then they would skid in for a landing, since when they took off they used a sled which stayed on the ground.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>>Does anyone know what about this plane is considered to be "record breaking"?<<

About the only thing I can see is I think it's the first "rocket plane" built and flown by civilians without military help or funding.

I've been following the Rutans since they brought out the Vari-Easy aircraft and when at Cal City I met them a couple of times. Burt Rutan always reminded me of Ted Strong, very bright and innovative. On the other hand his brother Dick (who flew the Voyager around the world without a fuel stop) gives off the vibe of an old time aviation huckster.

I grew up around the Rutans. My dad was a pilot and I used to hang with him all the time. I got to know his buddies. He and Dick are real good friends. Dick had a hangar across from my dad.

Good people. . .
FGF #6
Darcy