drew7682

Advice for 9 month layoff

Hi,
I'm a UK A License holder with only 22 jumps, and have just spent the past 9 months without doing a single jump! Does anyone have any advice on getting prepared for returning to the dropzone and what kind of refresher training will i need? Im slightly weary of returning to the dropzone due to my lack of experience and the huge amount of time its been since i went, but i really want to get up in the air again! Thanks.

It's difficult to say what your drop zone will want you to do to get back in the air - but I'm guessing a bare minimum of some refresher training and possibly a check out dive too.

My suggestion would be to give the DZ a call, speak to the Chief Instructor and discuss your situation with them. They can then advise what they need you to do and you can maybe arrange a mutually convenient time to get down to the DZ for some refresher training.

Do it soon... you'll be buzzing SO much after that first jump back! B|

Vicki

Hey, drew:

I've got 18 jumps and it's been a year. I figured it'd be easy.

I did 5 minutes in the wind tunnel at Perris. This demonstrated that positioning was out of whack and I just wasn't stable. I'm GLAD I wasn't leaving a plane.

Before I go back in the air, I may actually WANT to sit through an FJC. I've forgotten a lot, and I need all the refreshing I can get.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I was pretty much in the same situation, I got my UK A licence after 20 jumps and then had 7 months off. Getting back into it, I had to do a lot of emergency drills training and had to do a level 7 AFF jump with an AFF instructor who then cleared me to carry on as an A licenced jumper. Personally I thought that was a good thing as there was no way I would have just carried on as I left off after that period of not jumping.

What DZ did you jump at before? Are you going back to the same one?

Caz,
I did my AFF in Sebastian, Florida and then 5 jumps at Chatteris when i got back. When i get back in the area in 2 weeks time, will give them a call. Wind tunnel would be an excellent idea, but i don't think there is one in the UK?

No wind tunnel in the UK… yet… ;)

Your nearest wind tunnel at the moment is Paris unless you fancy another trip to Florida for the Orlando tunnel or California to the Perris Valley wind tunnel.

Definitely get in touch with the Chief Instructor at Chatteris and talk to them about getting back in the air! B|

Vicki

I jump at Chatteris, so I know they won't have a problem with refresher training you. Just give Mike (the CCI) a ring and he'll let you know exactly what they want you to do. All the AFF instructors there tend to be very busy at the weekends with tandems, but if you head up there during the week they have much more time on their hands.

Everyone at Chatteris is pretty friendly, but if you want to see a friendly face PM nearer the time when you go up there and I will come and say hello if I'm up there.

~~~ London Skydivers ~~~

You don't say why you haven't jump, and your post does not indicate that it's due to an injury.

I recently returned to the sport after a skydiving injury. It had been 4 months since my last jump so I did a refresher with an AFF Jumpmaster and a recurrency jump. I'm assuming you don't have a license so your situation will be different but, that's not why I'm responding to your post...

Though I only had 33 jumps at the time of my injury I felt pretty confident about my freefall skills. I was stable, could turn, and track pretty decently. To date I've done 4 jumps and feel like I'm starting from scratch. My arch sucks, my last exit funneled for 2 grand before I could get stable, and I can't turn for shit. Thank God I can still land the canopy or I'd seriously consider taking up golf. I don't think you can pick up where you left off, but at the same time I don't want you to become discouraged if you find yourself experiencing setbacks. I know I'm not giving up, I am however not jumping with anyone until I at least reach the same level of skill I had before.

Blue Skies and Soft Landings.