base698

Near Miss

I learned a valuable lesson this weekend reinforcing the keep your head on a swivel theory. I was under canopy following someone on my jump when I noticed myself getting close to the group that exited in front of us. I promptly started looking for other canopies to make sure I knew where everyone was. After I found every canopy except the last in the group I heard a yell and someone was headed right for me. At this point they were nearly 30 ft away. My body was on an impact course with the canopy. Only reason the collision was avoided was me lifting my legs and stabbing toggles. The whole incident took maybe a blink of an eye.

Definitly the second closest call I've every had.

Good thing you're very heads up because this could have been really bad. I've seen damage from body/canopy collisions range from tearing off topskin to cutting a canopy in half. Hopefully, you can find a way to tactfully tell the other jumper they should have done something to avoid you.