spencer

easy jet, rigs

no we had no problems last year taking rigs on easyjet, there was even a free sports sports allowance at the time. that was in April.:)
There used to be a document on the bcpa website from the CAA informing customs that cypres was ok but it has disappeared,perhaps someone else knows where you can get a copy.:|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

We did get a few wierd looks going on the aircraft with our parachutes on all the way. Just told them we were afraid of hights....
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

We did get a few wierd looks going on the aircraft with our parachutes on all the way. Just told them we were afraid of hights....

And I think that girls boyfriend was getting pissed at all the attentions she was giving us. ;)
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I guess experiences can vary, seems to be luck of the draw. I just got back from spain and saw lots of rigs go in the overhead lockers, but a couple years ago going to a world meet the whole aircraft was almost evacuated when someone checking in their rig was asked what it was and in their answer the words " explosive-powered device " casually dropped into conversation....Doh ! We ended up in the cockpit ,with the pilot threatening to throw about 30 skydivers off the plane. Eventually he called his boss and we were allowed to take-off. The "explosives" dudes were not so lucky, they had to get a flight with another airline to a different destination followed by a long drive thru the night to get to the competition. I suggest getting e-mail confirmation that it's ok to take a rig on board....oh, and don't say any scary words when you check-in;)

That's why carrying your AADs "x-ray card" is always a good idea.

Vigil's is available here (PDF).

The Cypres one is probably availble online too, but I'm having trouble getting to their site right now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I always take my rig as hand luggage. I have a mini rig bag which I use and it looks very inconspicuous. I would never sling my rig over my shoulder and carry it on board - asking for trouble IMHO!

I have very rarely been asked questions about what I am carrying - most baggage screeners at security seem well trained and recognise the rig for what it is and have no problem with it. (I do approx 5 return journeys per year with my rig)

I have only ever once (Phoenix airport of all places!) had to produce my cypres card. The only other time I had a problem was flying out of Luton a couple of weeks after the London 7/7 bombings. The security people there informed me that it "wasn't allowed" for me to take my rig on as hand luggage because I could hijack the plane and then parachute out. (Whatever!) I stood my ground, asked for a supervisor, waved CAA letter around, insisted that they call the airline (Easyjet in this case) and was eventually allowed to take my rig on as hand luggage.

My advice - FWIW - carry rig on in a bag which is within the airlines sizing guidelines. Ensure you have the cypres card and CAA letter with you. Say nothing unless asked!

hth!

Vicki