Orange1

Adrenaline ... (any doctors out there?)

I don't know much about adrenaline other than the obvious. Perhaps a medical professional can answer this question: are adrenaline surges always short-lived, or if you do skydiving reasonably regularly (say weekly or every second week, not daily) can you end up with some permanently higher level of adrenaline in your body?

(There is a good reason I'm asking this but I don't want to move the discussion off a "skydiving related" issue)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

adrenaline is pumped into your blood stream whenever your brain decides that you are in a dangerous (fight or flight) situation. when you get used to doing something, the adrenaline doesn't flow nearly as much or at all. when we all first started skydiving, the adrenaline was quite noticeable but, for me now, the freefall is about control and relaxation. the adrenaline i get out of the sport now is associated with learning to swoop (gotta love that ground speed!) i also speculate that very experienced swoopers have less of a "rush" when they swoop for the same reason. it seems that competition swoopers are controlled and relaxed as they try to accomplish objectives.

so, i think that adrenaline does not build up in ones body under these circumstances. however, people who have been subjected to very intense situations (like battle or natural disasters) for long periods of time show signs of extreme fatigue due to long exposure to adrenaline.

edit: i'm not a doctor and i didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Not a doctor either, but isn't it the same reason drug addicts need more and more of a drug they're addicted to over time? Body sets tolerances...

I dont think you body becomes dependednt on adrenalin and therfore 'addicted'. Its just a nice bonus ;)

I went to see my doctor about my hands twitching all the time like ive been on the piss, he told me that was probably just because ive got aleaky adrenaline tap. Haha :)

I don't know much about adrenaline other than the obvious. Perhaps a medical professional can answer this question: are adrenaline surges always short-lived, or if you do skydiving reasonably regularly (say weekly or every second week, not daily) can you end up with some permanently higher level of adrenaline in your body?

Ask Brian Germain. Might even be covered in his soon to publish book Transcending Fear.

My less informed opinion thinks no. Your body pumps in the adrenaline when it gets uneasy and with more experience you get more relaxed in the sky.

hmmm... answers kinda tally with what i had thought ( i don't "feel" an adrenaline rush anymore but get some of the symptoms, like thirst, so i know it's there)

[ asked because i have an allergy (which adrenaline is used to treat in extreme circumstances) and i seem to have been getting less of a reaction since i started jumping... so i was wondering if the adrenaline release from jumping had something to do with it, but it seems more likely it's just coincidence.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.