newbieforever

Newbie skydiver Frustrated

First and foremost.. Talk with your instructors.

Second.. See if there is a Coach willing to jump with you. Your profile is Blank so no-one knows where you are jumping. Fill out you profile and just maybe a Local Experienced/Coach jumper will see this and offer to help you out. At my Home DZ there are MANY coaches that do not charge anything for helping newer jumpers out.

I have been fortunate enough to have many highly qualified Jumpers willing to jump with me at no charge to help with similar problems. Ask around the DZ and see if you can find someone qualified that is willing to do a couple jumps with you.

Third.. Relax!!

Fourth.. Don’t listen to 100 Jump wonders like me.

If you need motivation, download the Halo - Freefall warriors show off of skydivingmovies.com - the guy who spins and fails the course - a year later, is a top instructor... Some times it just "clicks".

Did he really? that's great man. he was bummed he didn't make it. good for him.

I totally feel your pain since I had the exact same experience. I went spinning my way through my first four or five solos, including a delightful jump where I forgot my pull priorities and ended up pulling low. Since I had trouble with spinning during AFF, I was discouraged, disgusted and mortified.

I finally went up with a coach who helped me with establishing heading reference. On the first jump, I used him as the reference. On the second jump, he stayed behind me while I used a cloud as a reference. After that, crisp turns came back and I was stable again.

This was not the only issue. I was also simply scared because I was completely on my own. On my first solo, I instinctively looked to my right for my instructor but he wasn't there! The two coach jumps helped relieve this fear.

Fast forward 200 jumps and I'm coming back after a two month layoff. Ok, I'm not spinning anymore but there is a clear degradation in my "skills" (emphasis added because I am not and never will be God's gift to skydiving). I've done seven jumps in three weeks since that layoff so it's been slow going. I am a little frustrated now but I'm trying not to let it get to me. I do remember how and when to pull and how to get my butt back to the ground in one piece. The rest of it is gravy.

They say every jump is fun but that has not been the case for me. I am sorry if that is the case for you but I think there are plenty of people who experience frustration. The worst thing about fear and frustration is the snowballing of it. Going up with a coach helped me with both the physical and mental aspects. I hope this helps.

Aside from all the other advice you've gotten, try not to get overly frustrated and/or beat yourself up. Right now flat spins might be an issue, but 200 jumps down the line they'll be a fading memory and you'll have new hurdles to contend with. There's a lot to learn in skydiving.

This advice is a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black 'cause I get the same way (if any of my friends are reading this, surely they are rolling their eyes and chuckling at me :$). I'm very prone to negative thinking. Actually, this advice is directed as much at myself as it is toward you. :)

Hey we all have trouble whith some part of our training at some point, Mine was with backloops, first one was a front flip secound was a barrel roll and third well didnt go any where just stayed flat finally got it on my fourth attempt with practice, One thing that really helpped with me was to relax more and think about it all during the dive not just go through the motions.
BTW good stand up landings up till now and I made a real hash of my first yesterday, smoked in with a low turn luckely dug it out. Its all about a never ending learning process.

Aside from all the other advice you've gotten, try not to get overly frustrated and/or beat yourself up.

Agreed. If you're chastising yourself when you get on the ground, you're going to hurt your performance and not have fun. Breathe, relax, and remember we all suck at this. Some of us just suck less due to experience.;)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I'm so frustrated with my jump today that I was pondering why do I even jump when I'm not
having fun out there.

Your post sounds familiar to me, probably because I wrote a very similar one four months ago.
To continue the story since that post:

I made a few more jumps at that DZ, then I switched to one further away. I didn't expect that
someone at the new DZ would push a button and fix my skydiving, but I was thinking that maybe
a new instructor would see something differently or explain something in a different way that
would help. I did pick up some helpful ideas there, but my progress was still slow.

I started jumping in June 2005. After noticing that I was a slow learner, I went to a wind tunnel
in late July 2005. I had 30 minutes and that helped somewhat, but I didn't have the "Eureka!"
experience many people have talked about. I switched to the further-away DZ at the beginning
of November 2005, and lots of people there said I should go to the tunnel again. I got sort of
hard-headed about this and halfway decided that I was going to jump my way out of it - after all,
didn't people learn how to skydive before wind tunnels existed?

I passed L-4 on jump 39, exactly six months after I started jumping. (39 jumps total, not 39 just
on L-4.) I was starting to break down and think about a tunnel trip. Since I passed L-4 in early
December 2005, I decided to lay off for the holidays and ponder my options. By the first of
January 2006, I had made my decision and booked 30 minutes at the wind tunnel - a different one
than I visited before.

I went to the tunnel in mid-January. My 30 minutes got split into two chunks over two days.
After the first session, I felt a little better, but I still wasn't sure. After the second session, I felt
a lot more sure of myself. I came on back home and went for a jump and my instructors were
impressed with the change; so was I. :) I'm not doing one-jump-per-level yet, but it's taking a
hell of a lot fewer than it was. Remember, it took me six months and 39 jumps to pass L-4.
Since I got back from the tunnel, it's taken me three weekends and 6 jumps to pass L-5, L-6, and
*almost* L-7. So I am happy with the results so far. This is my full report on that tunnel trip.

Here are some random pieces of advice. You've probably heard many of these before, but here
they are again. Note that I still have a low jump number, so take with a grain of salt:

- Relax! This is not the easiest thing in the world to do when a large planet is coming at you at
120 mi/hr. But when you do, everything smooths out.

- Practice your arch. First do it at the dropzone, maybe on a creeper but definitely in front of a
mirror and with an instructor, so you know what a "good" one looks like. Then practice it at
home, during the week. What I did was arch for twenty seconds, rest for more than that,
repeat nine more times (ten in all). I did this once a day, and it helped.

- Consider some tunnel time. When you first look at the price tag, you will freak, but then work
out how many jump tickets you'd need to get that much free-fall. I'm talking about regular
"experienced jumper" tickets, which run US$20 plus or minus here in the US. You'll probably
find that the tunnel is about half the cost of the jumps. This doesn't seem to be your situation,
but if you compare the tunnel to an AFF jump, the tunnel is usually less than one-tenth the cost
of the jump.

- Try to get video. I tried this a few times earlier this summer. I just paid for the camera guy's
jump ticket. Of course, the first time I tried this, my dive went fine. The second time, the
camera guy fell off of the plane a few seconds before me and my instructor left, so no video.
I decided I wasn't destined to get video of my jumps. But if you have better luck, it may be
helpful.

- I found that my jumps seem to go better if I'm not rushing around on the ground before the
jump. I'm not talking about the normal thing of watching which load you're on and getting ready
in time; I'm talking more about things like "I have to hurry and do this jump because I have to be
back home in an hour" or "I want to try and get one more before sunset".

- If I had a bad jump on Sunday morning, sometimes I would try to end the weekend on a good
note by trying again Sunday afternoon. This worked about half the time - I'd have a good
second jump. The other half - not so good. I may have been trying too hard.

- If you've been going every weekend, take a weekend off and see how you feel. I tried this and
by Sunday evening I was kicking myself for not going to the DZ. So I figured I really did like
it. :)

Anyway, I hope all this helps. Keep chipping away at it; you'll get there.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.