meistwer

3rd party insurance problem

Hi there to all you...

I'm an spanish guy living permanently in the UK for the last seven years and been in the sport for one. I have a problem which I hope somebody has the answer for it....there it goes.
As I live in the UK, I'm a BPA member therefore my membership covers a third party insurance. Recently I have been jumping abroad but because I'm NOT a UK citizen and still hold my beloved spanish passport the BPA doesn't cover me outside the United Kingdom. This causes me a problem as some of my mates like to go to jump abroad but I can't becuase I don't have the 3rd party insurance. There's a spanish federation called the FEADA which covers spanish people abroad but all the membership details and policy is in Spanish. If I join them most likely I'll find problems trying to jump in the UK because the people at the DZ 's here don't speak Spanish obviously.
Does anybody have any suggestion or know if the USPA will cover me here and outside the UK although I'm not a US citizen? Other possibility is to get an insurance with a private company (in English) but I have spend hours and hours in the Internet trying unsuccessfully to find one, do you know any company that provides 3r party cover to skydivers worldwide?

Thanks a lot to all of you in advance for you help.

Blue skies

I guess I don't understand why (aside from incurring 2 membership fees) you can't be a member of both FEADA and BPA?
I'm also not sure why the fact that an insurance policy is written in a language different from the language of a given DZ means that it won't be accepted. Yes, the full text of some insurance policies can be long, but most policies come with a "declarations page" that summarizes the type and limits of liability of the coverage. If need be, you can always get a certified translation of the declaration page, either from the company itself (if offered), or from a translation company like Berlitz, which has offices all over the world.

Hi buddy,

Well, I'm still at university so that's why I can't afford two memberships, they are also a bit more expensive than the USPA one, the BPA is around £120 (210 USD) and the FEADA is about 126 Euros (140 USD), so it works out quite expensive. To get an official translator for a whole policy with all its conditions translated could easily cost me about £200(390 USD). Life is quite expensive in the UK! :)

Thanks and blue skies

To get an official translator for a whole policy with all its conditions translated could easily cost me about £200(390 USD).

I understand; that's why I suggested getting only the policy's declaration page translated, and not the whole policy. See my post above.

Life is quite expensive in the UK! :)

A lame excuse. It's not our fault your ancestors didn't have the good sense to emigrate to the Colonies!

If you want to jump at any BPA DZ (unless you are German - long story...) you have to have BPA membership which costs ~ £113 per annum.

Hi Vicky!

So, what about the foreigners that come to the UK to jump? I guess that they aren't BPA members but of their country parachuting association? Do you know what's the situation with them at the DZ's?
By the way, were you jumping in Lillo in May/June last year?

Blue skies

Its a shitty situation, but all foreigners (except germans now) HAVE to be members of the BPA to jump at BPA DZs.

We have shitty backwards insurance. At some point it might change, but with what we have we're fucked if even a non-bpa member gets on a lift, even if they're allowed.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

So, what about the foreigners that come to the UK to jump?

They can take out temporary BPA membership - unsure of the cost but it is only valid for a month.

Otherwise, the only option (unless you are German!) is full BPA membership.

Crazy, I know. :S

Vicki

Hi there,

I'm looking for 3rd party insurance because I have to have this before I go to spain to do my AFF.

The benefits at http://www.sportscoverdirect.com/sportsguard/info/benefits.html state that I would have personal liability insurance.

Is that the same thing as 3rd party liability insurance ?

Ensleigh do extreme sport insurance pretty affordably.

When I did my AFF in France, I joined the French 'BPA'. That way I could do PAC as opposed to AFF and get cheaper french student insurance. Both cost savings...

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

The benefits at http://www.sportscoverdirect.com/sportsguard/info/benefits.html state that I would have personal liability insurance.

Is that the same thing as 3rd party liability insurance ? ***

Yea thats the same, it will cover you for any damage etc. that you would be responsible for.

Also if you are traveling and want travel insurance to cover skydiving, try

etravelinsure.com

I got eleven days cover for under 20 euros last year
up to 7 million cover including medical flight home.

edited to add travel bit

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Whilst £200+ is a lot, so is 6 months for AFF!

For 2 weeks comprehensive insurance, it's about £20 for 10 days...ample time for an AFF course. I assumed you wanted it for an AFF trip as opposed to months on end! :P

I got Endsleigh travel insurance for my trip to Spain a month ago that cost £20 for two weeks which seemed very reasonable. I'm not sure what third party cover it has though as my BPA insurance covered it. It would have covered getting me home and medical costs if I'd broken any limbs skydiving though.

Francis

Whilst £200+ is a lot, so is 6 months for AFF!

For 2 weeks comprehensive insurance, it's about £20 for 10 days...ample time for an AFF course. I assumed you wanted it for an AFF trip as opposed to months on end! :P

My bad :) I was just looking at buying once to cover my jumping plans for the year. But it's looking like it will be better to just buy in little bits as and when required, yeah.

You can get it for even less if you leave out the included luggage cover and take the 'essential' as opposed to 'comprehensive' cover (reduced medical cover etc, from lotsa million to just millions).

Mike

Yeah, but chances are that if --I-- do something really bad to someones plane/hangar/house, chances are I won't give two hoots about whether they'll sue me or not as it'll still be in better shape than me!

Does the BPA not cover us in that respect?

Does the BPA not cover us in that respect?

The BPA will cover you with a 3rd party insurance in any BPA affiliated DZ abroad as long as you hold British passport. That's what I've been told after I phoned them about this issue. What you need to get is a personal accident insurance, which is the one offered by Endleigh.

Blue skies