jumpnaked69

Dropzone Unknown article--Other Rescue-related Skydiving?

I recently read the article about RAM-Airborne and I'm really intrigued. I am unable to participate this year but the whole idea is very appealing. Does anyone out there know of any other rescue and/or humanitarian outfits that use skydivers to stabilize injured people, clear runways, assist in rescues, etc?

Thanks for the help!
Alan

I recently read the article about RAM-Airborne...

That whole expedition seemed kind of bogus to me. They went through all that trouble to drop in by air with cargo and personnel, but then when they were all done, everything was removed by truck. Well, if trucks have access to the area, then why go to the extra trouble and expense to deliver things by air? It seems like a lousy excuse to make a skydive to me. Just do the same mission by truck convoy!

Flame away.

Because its an exercise for preperation for other expeditions. Why does the US military conduct their training jumps into large DZ's that they then get trucked out of at the end of it? ;)

I know RAM has conducted missions in Africa and other places where it was'nt practical to truck in the people and supplies, but they could get enough trucks to remove the people after leaving a lot of the supplies on the ground.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I recently read the article about RAM-Airborne...

That whole expedition seemed kind of bogus to me. They went through all that trouble to drop in by air with cargo and personnel, but then when they were all done, everything was removed by truck. Well, if trucks have access to the area, then why go to the extra trouble and expense to deliver things by air? It seems like a lousy excuse to make a skydive to me. Just do the same mission by truck convoy!

Flame away.

Quite right. I had the same reaction several months ago when I read of a mission. I found it amazing that the issue was not discussed in the article, it seems so obvious. I don't believe that it is an issue of getting into an area as quickly as possible, the missions are planned well before the jump, right?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am