matthewleong

Wat's this???

I don't like slider keepers attached to my rig or my jumpsuit. I had a friend chop and his main hung up. Then he had two out in a downplane and a bunch of broken bones.

But those who use them should only stow after everything is clear. And be mindfull not to self-induce line twists. ;)

I have some fancy tabs on my risers that keep my slider down. The Timmy mod. (THanks to Hookkit).

Some day when I grow up, I might have a removable slider. But not sure I'll ever get that far in my swooping career.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Yup, I don't use one either - I also have slider keepers on my risers. However, the slider still rides high enough to make rearwards visibility a pain, which is where I could see the on-rig keeper having an advantage.

The other advantage is that whilst slider stows are ok at keeping your slider down, the dont stop it flapping around which can be a distraction... yes there is the argument about drag, but the difference is minute, if at all any.

Also if you are using slider stows then most likey you will collaspe your slider, so as well as the slider itsself flapping away, you have the two draw cords flapping around again a distraction.

In theory you should not be putting yourself into a situation that is likely to end up needing a chop once you have stowed your slider... Once my slider is stowed I undo my chest strap as far as it will go, and i really dont want to have to chop with it like that as i will probably fall out of my rig ....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

The other advantage is that whilst slider stows are ok at keeping your slider down, the dont stop it flapping around which can be a distraction... yes there is the argument about drag, but the difference is minute, if at all any.

I would say much more than minute... even when the slider is collapsed from the drawstrings, it is still inflated like a sail most of the time while flying, especially on faster canopies. When I stow my slider to my rubber band, I dont use the drawstrings and just twist it until it catches no more air.

In theory you should not be putting yourself into a situation that is likely to end up needing a chop once you have stowed your slider... Once my slider is stowed I undo my chest strap as far as it will go, and i really dont want to have to chop with it like that as i will probably fall out of my rig ....

I wouldn't imagine that you would fall out of your rig. THats the reason for keeping the cheststrap at least fastened. If that wasn't the reason, why not just take the cheststrap clean off? Besides...who's fault would it be if someone came tearing down through the top of your canopy at a low altitude and ripping a hole in the top or bottom skin? Not yours...death usually comes from above and behind...even if you're not flying into someone at a low altitude.

Cheers,
Travis

Ok what I was trying to say is the, drag comparison between a rolled and stowed slider and removing the slider completely is minimal, to the point of whether it worth it or not...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I definetly think its worth it. Even when you collapse the slider with the drawstrings, it still can catch air, especially on smaller faster wings. Mine has two drawstrings and it still will act like a sail on a boat if I dont twist it and stow it. Some of the older guys could chime in, but I would guess that originally the slider collapsing was mostly for reducing the noise of the slider bucking, but now its becoming more for drag reducing.

Cheers,
Travis