Harksaw

Remember to Turn Off Student Cypres when Landing Plane

On the last load yesterday, the plane had to land with all jumpers on board. One new jumper had a student cypres, which fired sometime before landing. Remember to turn them off when landing, they can and most likely will fire when the plane descends!

In theory it takes about a 2500 ft/min descent at under 1000 feet to set off a student cypres. That's much faster than anyone should be descending in a traffic pattern. So either this pilot was really in a hurry to get down, or the thing fired when it shouldn't have.

Dave

This isn't exactly unheard of in instances where a pilot's second priority after safety is minimizing flight time. I know I have experienced one instance of an ~4 min decent from 11,000'.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

>Why does Perris use expert aad's for students?

At Otay we use them because their one purpose is to open the reserve if both the student and the JM fail to do so. And the expert cypres does a good job of that. The student cypres will effectively give you a two-out if you don't deal with a partial mal, and I am not convinced that having your reserve tangled with a malfunctioning main is significantly better than having a malfunctioning main at 1000 feet.

>I rode the plane down on my aff 2 at perris, and no cypres fire.

AFAIK Perris uses expert cypreses on their student rigs, so there is no issue there.

I rode down once there on one of the otters and Andy did turn mine off (and I think the other 2 AFFs on board).

I hand counted one 1000ft drop as quick as 14 seconds, though by the time we were in Cypress territory the flight path was much flatter.

Well if the cypress fired you're going to see the reserve PC come flying out.(and whoever is sitting directly be hind the jumper will get a face full of PC)

But My ride down was around jump 13 and the jumpers on board told the pilot that we had cypress on. neither fired (me and another student stayed on the plane)