niolosoiale

Making my first jump this summer. Question.

So last week I had a dream that I made 4 jumps total complete with canopy ride. While they were abbreviated into a few seconds of freefall and a few more seconds of canopy to the ground, this served as the first dream I ever had of falling where I didn't wake up. When I finally did wake up I was like "I'm am GOING!" So the past several days I've been reading up, lurking these forums and watching videos... and I'm already addicted to the idea. While I imagine many people can be totally enthused on the ground, I'm sure statistically, a lot of people start feeling a little less certain on the ride up. But I do know that I am way too pumped about going ;)

Anyway... I figure that I definitely want some freefall time on my first jump so I'm planning on going tandem. (Going the week I turn 21 {06/06/06}, to make an occasion {sp} out of it) Here's my point of "dilemma". After the tandem, I am almost certain a friend and I will be going apeshit over the whole thing. And I'm already contemplating the idea of what method of training would be the best for getting licensed for me personally. A local DZ offers static line for $120 on the first jump, and jumps # 2 through A license for $45 each. Now I know money-wise, it works out relatively close to the AFF course total costs at another local DZ, but only if one exceptionally passes all 7 levels first time. So I'm speculating that the static-line course may actually work out better.

So should I pony up the money and go AFF with the risk of paying more depending on performance, or take the path which leads to a pretty consistent median price wise?

I should also note that the DZ that offers the AFF course appears to be a little more advanced facility.

Thanks in advance. God I'm totally stoked about it. :D

I think tandem to AFF progression is the way to go if it is available to you. Throw in some wind-tunnel training on top of that (if it's convenient) and you likely won't need to repeat any levels. Your freefall skills will then be far superior enabling you to get on group jumps sooner and progress in the sport faster. Tandem(s) before AFF also reduces the sensory overload you _will_ experience on your first jumps. AFF also usually entails jumping sport gear that will basically be just like what you will buy after you get your license, i.e. throw-out pilot chute and not old rip-cord spring-loaded pilot chute setups.

I also don't like static line since you are "all alone" on your first freefalls without anyone there and progressing from dummy rip-cord pulls to 5 second delays seems to take people a lot more jumps than should be necessary. Your canopy skills might progress faster in static-line progression though so there are bonuses outside of the fact it is almost always cheaper.

cliffnotes: Tandem ---> AFF is my recommendation. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I can answerer this because I have done both. I jumped with the Army and Have 54 static line jumps and another 2 jumps in the Civilian arena. I current am taking the AFF course and did my 4th jump Sunday. Static line sucks for lack of a better word go for the Aff brother you will not regret it all. Static line doesn't even come close to the free fall portion its amazing. You will be glad once you find yourself in free fall and not attached by a static line.

I know ill go to heaven because ive spent my time in Hell.

Static line sucks for lack of a better word go for the Aff brother you will not regret it all. Static line doesn't even come close to the free fall portion its amazing. You will be glad once you find yourself in free fall and not attached by a static line.

Yeah that's what I wanted to hear lol. It was my first inclination, but I'm definitely putting more analysis into it, just needed some input.

just to put a spanner in the works, i've done both and see advantages to both. AFF gets you there faster in terms of freefall skills, but some people prefer SL because its one-step-at-a-time approach is less overwhelming.

Do a search, there are quite a few threads on this subject...
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

That is a good point. My point of views comes from years of being on the static line and my experience civilian wasn't the best. I wanted to free fall the first Civilian jump and they wouldn't let me. Try it if you dint like it I'm sure you could switch to the other I wouldn't see why not. Good luck with what ever school you chose its a blast either way.

I know ill go to heaven because ive spent my time in Hell.

I think tandem to AFF progression is the way to go if it is available to you. Throw in some wind-tunnel training on top of that (if it's convenient) and you likely won't need to repeat any levels.

Listen to the Skydive Radio show with Jim Wallace, and he echos this progression as being ideal too... and he's been around the sport and instructing a long damn time! His school actually requires some tunnel time before the first AFF release dive, but he teaches at Perris, so he's got the tunnel right there!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Do a search on AFF vs Static line/IAD...It has been debated quite alot on the forums and there is a lot of info and oppions in the threads.

Starting with a tandem is a great idea....as is talking with some of your local DZ's about there programs.

The Canadian PFF program usually requires a few IAD jumps to get the student familiar with canopy control and being in the plane before progressing to the PFF/AFF side of the training.

I'm rated to teach tandem, AFF, static line, and IAD.

Either program will work. I like the tandem to AFF progression, as most people here do. However, a good static line program will work, and is sometimes less expensive.

With that said, I'd discourage you from doing a static line program at a specific DZ unless they also have an active AFF program. The AFF program requires more experience and skill to teach, and having that on the DZ tends to filter into a static line program.

You should also look very carefully at the costs of the static line program you listed. I don't know where you are, but those numbers seem very low for the United States, and if you are in the USA I'd be very suspicious.

If you would like more information about skydiving, or additional help deciding what program or drop zone is best for you, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of my book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy from your local bookshop or Amazon.com. It was written to answer just this sort of question.

Blue Skies,
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

So last week I had a dream that I made 4 jumps total complete with canopy ride.

This is great! You've got to mention this at the DZ if somebody asks you why you decided to jump. :)

Anyway... I figure that I definitely want some freefall time on my first jump so I'm planning on
going tandem.

I started in June 2005 and I started with my AFF 1 jump. Having done that, my recommendation for
new jumpers is to do a tandem first. This is a bit because there's a small chance you may not like it,
but mostly because the first time you get out of that plane, probably the only thing you will think
about for the next 5 to 20 seconds or so is "HOLY SH-T I JUMPED OUT OF THE AIRPLANE!"
If this happens while you're on a tandem, it's no big deal. If it happens on your AFF 1 jump, your
instructors will be trying like hell to remind you that there's a few things you need to do to stop this
big planet coming at you.

As has been mentioned, some DZs have a formal program where you do a couple of "working"
tandem jumps and then go into AFF. Even if the DZ you pick doesn't offer this, if you think you're
serious about continuing to jump, mention this to your tandem master. He may be willing to show
you a few things once you're under canopy, or possibly let you fly the canopy for a little while. He
may also point out things like the altitude, landing pattern, etc. You'll go through a class that explains
this stuff in great detail, but it's nice to have a bit of a head start on it.

The AFF vs. static-line/IAD is often argued here; try the "search posts" link above. One thing I will
add is that although I know a few people who got through AFF with only one jump per level, I know
a lot more people who have had to do two jumps for at least one level. Then there's me, but I'm a
problem child. :)

Eule

PS I have sent you a private message (PM), which you can read by clicking on the "Messages" link
near the top of the page, or here.
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Probably the only thing you will think
about for the next 5 to 20 seconds or so is "HOLY SH-T I JUMPED OUT OF THE AIRPLANE!"
If this happens while you're on a tandem, it's no big deal. If it happens on your AFF 1 jump, your
instructors will be trying like hell to remind you that there's a few things you need to do to stop this
big planet coming at you.

It's not really such a big deal on a first SL jump either because as you're thinking that, you're also looking up in amazement at this huge canopy over your head ... this was part of my point about the "one step at a time" approach. (I'm not trying to sound like an advocate for SL here, just trying for a bit of balance ;))
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I'm rated to teach tandem, AFF, static line, and IAD.

Either program will work. I like the tandem to AFF progression, as most people here do. However, a good static line program will work, and is sometimes less expensive.

With that said, I'd discourage you from doing a static line program at a specific DZ unless they also have an active AFF program. The AFF program requires more experience and skill to teach, and having that on the DZ tends to filter into a static line program.

You should also look very carefully at the costs of the static line program you listed. I don't know where you are, but those numbers seem very low for the United States, and if you are in the USA I'd be very suspicious.

If you would like more information about skydiving, or additional help deciding what program or drop zone is best for you, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of my book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy from your local bookshop or Amazon.com. It was written to answer just this sort of question.

Blue Skies,

Those prices were for the one in Chickasha, OK. The S/L course at Cushing, OK (which seems to be my preferred facililty) prices are negligibly higher ($150 for course, $50 per jump) and they also have AFF. Monetarily, the AFF and S/L work out to close to the same amount, but I would have to sacrifice more consistent jumping given my current budget.

Oh and you gotta know, most everything is cheaper in Oklahoma :D Or at least the things that matter. Like housing heh. LOW cost of living.

EDIT: The DZ at Cushing does IAD instead of S/L. So... I don't think that changes much. Does it?

"So should I pony up the money and go AFF with the risk of paying more depending on performance, or take the path which leads to a pretty consistent median price wise? "

I say keep dreaming every night about free fall till you get good and then when you show up at DZ you have no problems.:P It's safe and saves you money. Just kidding do what ever the guys said already.

I say keep dreaming every night about free fall till you get good and then when you show up at DZ you have no problems.:P It's safe and saves you money. Just kidding do what ever the guys said already.

"How many jumps have you made?"
"Countless"
"Log book?"
"It's intangible."
"Go right ahead!"

:D

One piece of advice from one wanna-be skydiver to another:

Don't wait until June to make your Tandem! If you are that psyched about it, go do it ASAP. That way, you will know if skydiving is for you, and you will have more of the season left to start and hopefully complete your AFF.

I only say this because I did my tandem jump late in last season, and weather constraints kept me from starting my AFF. So, over the fall/winter season, I had to resort to watching videos and dream about getting up there by myself instead of actually doing it.

Why not make your first AFF on your 21st Birthday or something like that? Just an idea.

P.S. I turn 21 this year as well! Sweet!

Monetarily, the AFF and S/L work out to close to the same amount, but I would have to sacrifice more consistent jumping given my current budget.

Which ever method you choose a tandem is a great first jump. To get the most out of it explain to your instructor that you'll be doing AFF or static line in the future so they can make it more like a working tandem.

Don't start AFF until you have the money saved to do it all... if you have to wait weeks / months between each jump because of not having enough money you will find that you have a harder time progressing and will probably end up doing some repeat levels.

If the only way you can afford AFF is to do it one jump at a time with long breaks inbetween then choose static line instead, I think being current and jumping at least every couple of weeks is way more important than which method you choose.

Have fun :)

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!