skeltr71

First Jump - What happened?

Did my first Tandem Jump Saturday, was pumped. I did not expect how it felt though, the wind was intense, it was hard to breathe and the cold was bitter. It felt like I was being sprayed with a giant firehose, the sensation was overwhelming and I don't know if it was because I had trouble breathing, got the air knocked out of me, the feeling against my skin, the suddeness of it all or what but I felt like I was going to pass out. I get the same feeling when I push myself too hard -I run real hard to far or work out real hard, it is a tingling light headed feeling, and I need to sit down to catch my breath and get a hold of the dizziness.

Is there something wrong with me? I want to do this again, it was awesome, but I don't want to pass out in the air. Has anyone else gotten this feeling of sorts, is this common? I am hoping it will be less next time I go this coming weekend.

I have had a physical recently and checked out and have never had any health problems. It just spooked me and it felt like when I reached 5000 feet it was just in time to open the canopy so I could relax and catch my breath. I never imagined falling like that would feel that way, it was a shock to my system. Once the canopy was open, it was great, I felt really relaxed.

For all the prep before hand, I never heard exactly how it would feel like, like being drug through the water behind a speedboat. It was overwhelming to say the least, awesome, but overwhelming.

Hmm, I've never had that experience, but it seems like you had a sensory overload. Common for some people, but it fades with time.

As for being drug though the water by a motor boat...
I have no info for you there.

Hopefully your next jump goes better!

Welcome to the wonderful world of skydiving.

The same thing happened to me my when I did my tandem. You were amped to the gills and experiencing sensory overload. I thought for sure I was not going to make it as a skydiver. My instructor told me that it happens to a lot of people and as you RELAX in the environment things will get better. He was right, as I became more comfortable and learned to relax and trust my training things have worked out. I now look forward to exiting and experiencing the joys of freefall. Don't give up, relax and enjoy yourself!!!

Kevin

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

I had some breathing problems for the first 3-4 jumps. It faded completely and im fine till the door opens. then the heart always beats a little faster. but once im out and in the wind its back to being comfortable. The breathing issues will pass. It helped me to make sure I kept my mouth shut. If not then it was more like a cant breathe due to gag reflex.:D

good luck and get back i the air. ASAP

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I don't think I have experienced this to the degree that you have, but I have experienced it. The cold seems to take my breath away much more noticeably than warm air. You may not experience that feeling to the same extent if you go when it is a little warmer. I hope you go again and love it!!! Good luck!

Sounds like you forgot to breathe.

A full face helmet takes care of the cold and the wind, but you can't wear one until you're off student status. Honestly, if you do AFF, you'll have so much to think about you really won't notice the cold. Or, just wait until it's a bit warmer.

Try Screaming (either like a little girl...) or you can go for the more popular Wahoo/Yehaw/or something with a colorful metaphor... :D I say this because generally people that have a "hard time breathing" are holding their breath... and when they scream they stop...

it depends on where you're at... but this time of year... its generally quite chilly at altitude... (I didn't notice the temperature my first year in the sport... I started in the latter part of march...) but last year I commented to one of my former instructors that "I didn't remember it being this cold at altitude...

oh... no there isn't anything wrong with you... other then there being a possibility of withdraw symptoms if you don't go back this weekend... :D

Have fun and welcome to the club... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Like they said, I think part was sensory overload and part cold. Also not mentioned is (was it cloudy?) sometimes if you are going through a thin veil of clouds, there could be rain in there (or in the air) and you are feeling that on your face. If feels like you are on a motorcycle going 100 mph in the rain, it HURTS. Try jumping again in the warmer air and see if you still feel it.

Congrats on your first jump of many more to come.B|

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

***I did not expect how it felt though, the wind was intense, it was hard to breathe ...

I totally couldn't breathe on my first Tandem either. I remember that I kept bringing my hands to my mouth and trying to keep the air out. (Yeah, like that will work;-)

A friend told me to take a few deep breaths before you get to the door, then breathe in and exhale slowly when you exit. This way, your lungs will be empty and then you can breathe normal. I would, however, recommend keeping your mouth shut and try to take deep breaths in though your nose so you don't have all that extra air coming in.

Everytime you jump your breathing gets easier and who knows, maybe by concentrating on my breathing before I left the plane is what kept my nerves under control.

P.S. I ended up doing 2 more Tandems before my AFF training even started, so yeah... it gets better.

Skydiving rocks! Have FUN and be SAFE!

First time i went through thick cloud I was on my back watching everyone else jumping out the plane, when I arched I couldn't work out if I was on my belly or back so did back flip and tried again, still couldn't tell if still on my back or belly. When I got through the cloud I was on my belly. I asked an instructor why I didn't feel the wind / ice on my face, he believed I had some sensory overload, all my senses were switched to my eyes. He said you get used to it in time, he also said if I closed my eyes I maybe would have been able to feel the wind on my face, How wierd is the human brain or how Clever!!!!!
Lee

Thats what it was, sensory overload, no other way to describe it. Now I know what to expect this weekend and will be ready for it. Glad to hear that others have felt the intensity the first time, it is a life altering moment jumping out of a plane, awesome.

Thats what it was, sensory overload, no other way to describe it. Now I know what to expect this weekend and will be ready for it. Glad to hear that others have felt the intensity the first time, it is a life altering moment jumping out of a plane, awesome.

Yeah dude, I felt the same way. Really intense as it was happening, a bit hard to breathe, but couldn't friggin' wait to get back up there after it was over. And life altering is a perfect way to describe it. B|

Congrats, man.

The cold doesn't help, it really adds to the shock of removing yourself from a plane! :-)

It was -19 outside the plane last week here in England, and there was some moisture in the air which all added up to rather numb fingers by the time you got under canopy, even with good gloves and liners.

Deffo before jumping, turn the air vents up, open a window or whatever and get the cold air into the cabin so everyone can aclimatise before exiting. Take some real deep breaths of the cold air so you get used to it and it's not a massive shock when you jump. All these things help.

If your head is back and you're chilled out plenty then breathing is no problem at all.

I've only ever jumped in English winter so far, so I'm well looking forward to the summer! :-)

Relax and enjoy your second jump more! :-)

G. :-)

I get the same feeling when I push myself too hard -I run real hard to far or work out real hard, it is a tingling light headed feeling, and I need to sit down to catch my breath and get a hold of the dizziness.

Consider letting your primary care physician know about this, since you get the same feeling doing skydiving and running.

I hope its nothing and we get to see you up there. Good luck!