J321

tandem vs aff

is it normal for a dz to give priority to a tandem jump vs someone who paid for an aff course.
my dz keeps rescheduling me because they are doing tandems, but i already paid for my aff classes and passed level 1.

: >>is it normal for a dz to give priority to a tandem jump vs someone who paid for an aff course <<

yes.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

another good reason not to prepay for AFF. You pay with cash or visa?

Bumping you to the next load could be defended, but rescheduling to another date? That blows. You're paying pretty close to the same amount per jump still, and delays between jumps increase the chance of costly repeats.

Talk to your instructors. Many AFF students misunderstand what is going on. Tandems can jump in much higher winds, typically up to 24 MPH. AFF are limited to 14MPH per the SIM. So what may feel like you getting bumped for tandems is simply not the case. Ask about WHY this is happening....
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

that was my thought, too, Reg...I know during AFF I often was on the ground(and still am, actually, as I'm working toward my A) when tandems jump due to the weather. It definitely makes me unhappy, and last monday I almost wanted to do a tandem just so I could jump...but finally, I got to go up on the last load. Woo hoo!
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights

is it normal for a dz to give priority to a tandem jump vs someone who paid for an aff course.
my dz keeps rescheduling me because they are doing tandems, but i already paid for my aff classes and passed level 1.

You're in florida... Which dropzone do you jump at? If you had that info in your profile I am sure that someone here would be from that dropzone or know people there and could give you some idea of why.

Even better yet, ask more questions at the dropzone, hell go to the dropzone and ask to jump.

Your in florida, if your having problems with a dropzone go to a different one they are all over the place.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

As someone stated before. You're in Fl go find a new DZ. Also another option go to the DZ durring the week. This is starting to be their slow seasion, so there won't be as many weekday tandems.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

As some others have said it may not be you getting bumped, more a scheduling problem. Winds are a major factor, but something else that I have noticed on our DZ. the regular TM's do not have an AFFI rating, however one of the main AFFI's has a tandem ratting. I have seen more than once when a group of tandems would come in and all but beg to all jump the same load and manifest will ask the AFFI to take one of them so that they have enough TM's. This normally means an AFF student gets bumped a load or two, however they would never let mean being bumped to another date. This may not be the exact situation in your case, but maybe some similiar form of tring to please everyone.

If you are truly being bumped because you have already paid and they know they have you tied down, that is just wrong, very wrong.

So basically i should just try during the week sometime or just go and sit up there all day on the weekends and wait for the winds to die down to 15mph? and hope i get to jump

There's nothing the dropzone can do about the winds. There is, however, something they can do about bumping you off loads for tandems. If they are bumping you because of the winds, as others have said, tandems can and often will still go up. Keeping you on the ground in that situation is for your safety. One of the realities of this sport is that it is very weather-dependent, and yes, there is often a lot of "sitting around on the ground waiting" whether it's for the clouds to break or the wind to die down or for the plane to get fixed or whatever.

Look at that time as an opportunity, not a problem. I did most of my student jumps in the fall and winter in the northwest. We spent a lot of time on the ground. I learned a TON during that time. Take advantage of the downtime to work on gear checks. Review the SIM, and ask questions with your instructors right there. You can absorb so much just being at the DZ and keeping your eyes and ears open.

If, however, they're bumping you in normal winds, as others have said, you deserve an explanation.

i cant count how many times i spend hours at the DZ waiting for winds to come down. Its part of jumping and going through the AFF. Even now that im off AFF I tend to sepnd more time waiting then jumping. ;)

I learn alot from the more experienced jumpers. I plan the whole day to jumping so if things get slow and i cant jump then i can just hang out get to know people and soak up more knowledge.

I keep thinking i should get a part time job at the DZ so i can make use of the down time. :D at least make some money back on the amount that goes to the gas tank going back and forth. :|:D

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

So basically i should just try during the week sometime or just go and sit up there all day on the weekends and wait for the winds to die down to 15mph? and hope i get to jump

err, so is this the real reason you were getting bumped? You failed to mention wind in your initial posting.

Wind is an issue at many DZs - unfortunately you often discover that too late. I did, and after AFF finished elsewhere (and never hit a wind hold again).

I needed to be there at 8am for load 1, and with luck could make a second jump before the wind hold came. Know your DZs geography (time of day and seasonally) and plan accordingly.

i guess the wind was the factor. i didn't know it had to be below 15mph. lately we have been seeing 20mph winds. and untill i asked the question i didn't know there was a dif. for tandem jumping vs aff jumps. it also doesn't help that they are booked for tandems and only have 2-3 tm and 2 of the tm's are aff instructors. so they are limited with the emloyees right now also.
once again thanks for the info