MrFreefall383

Completed and passed first IAF jump

As the title states, I finished my first IAF jump today. Jump four in the sequence of my training, jump five is in a couple weeks now that I'm cleared for it.

Unfortunately, I underestimated the difference in feel between tandem and solo freefall, and was a bit wobbly on the way down. Regardless, I attempted my maneuvers to at least show that I could still retain my plan and make an attempt to do something with my freefall. The maneuvers were shakey as hell, but at least I didn't just stop cold and freeze up until 5,500 ft. I pulled my main at a little under 5,500 ft. unfortunately, because I was still a little frazzled by the wobble, but I pulled it properly. Of course because of the instability, I experienced my first linetwist. Not too serious, just enough to kick me into alert mode, and I cleared the twist and landed it safely but slightly long on the DZ.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Thanks, much appreciated. I will stick with it, I'm going to make this work, I'm too far now not to.

And to bigway, yes, that's exactly what my JM said. What I'm going to try for practice is laying back-down on the Ottoman in my living room, and just letting my back and pelvis arch as much as possible. That was actually a suggestion that my jump course instructor brought up when I asked my JM about it. I guess we'll see what happens. Otherwise, the jump felt pretty good, and after my linetwist was clear, I made a halfway decent approach to the field and a decent landing. Felt pretty positive overall except for the wobble.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I'll chime in here with a little newb(being me) advice...

The wobble will go away as you gain experiance and learn to relax......its hard to relax when getting used to hucking oneself out of a a/c at altitude...and plumeting towards mother earth at breakneck speed...but the more jumps you do the easier it will become.....best advise I ever recieved was..."pretend your a wet bag of shit".....for some reason that made sence to me :S:$

keep at it and listen to all sensible advise from your instructors...use your noodle and keep at it and enjoy :)