billvon

Catching freebags and mains (was: ASC fatality)

I have never had the courage to catch a cutaway main, though I have followed a few of them down.
The one time I caught a freebag, the local tandem examiner gave me a dirty look.

Standard operating procedure - after a cutaway - is for the victim to head for a safe landing field, ideally the bowl.
His #2 team mate follows him and lands beside him, to render medical assistance if he lands his tiny, unfamiliar reserve poorly.
#3 hangs in half brakes to follow the main down. He lands in the nearest safe area and walks over to retrieve the main.
#4 hangs in half brakes to follow the freebag down. Usually it lands close to the main.
The team videographer captures the excitement on tape.
If there is a fifth guy on the load, he lands beside manifest to keep them in the loop, dispatch pick up trucks, etc.

I have never had the courage to catch a cutaway main, though I have followed a few of them down.
The one time I caught a freebag, the local tandem examiner gave me a dirty look.

Standard operating procedure - after a cutaway - is for the victim to head for a safe landing field, ideally the bowl.
His #2 team mate follows him and lands beside him, to render medical assistance if he lands his tiny, unfamiliar reserve poorly.
#3 hangs in half brakes to follow the main down. He lands in the nearest safe area and walks over to retrieve the main.
#4 hangs in half brakes to follow the freebag down. Usually it lands close to the main.
The team videographer captures the excitement on tape.
If there is a fifth guy on the load, he lands beside manifest to keep them in the loop, dispatch pick up trucks, etc.

Sounds like a damn good plan.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals