fenderbass

I want to skydive!

But I'm currently 17 and I heard you have to be 18 to get your lincense. Thats fine for now though, I'm getting my pilot certificate right now. I turn 18 in aug and will be done with my PPL. What kind of lincense is it? A? How much money will I be looking at? I live in SW florida, and the closest skydiving place I see on my sectional is la Belle, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

But I'm currently 17 and I heard you have to be 18 to get your lincense.

I don't think the USPA has an age requirement for the license, but most dropzones have some kind of cutoff age. This varies by state and by dropzone. If you're 21 you're good most anywhere; some places will do it at 18 (but your parents may have to sign something); a very few places *might* do it at 16. You'll have to ask at the local dropzones to find out what their policies are.

What kind of lincense is it? A?

That's the first one USPA issues. The other three are B, C, D. There are some other ratings and qualifications you can get, but those four letters are the main ones.

You might want to look at the SIM (the skydiving version of the AIM) at uspa.org - you can buy a printed copy or download it as a PDF for free.

How much money will I be looking at?

It costs about $200 to get started and then half of your paycheck for the rest of your life. :) Seriously, it depends on what training method you choose and how fast you progress, but I would count on at least a couple of thousand dollars minimum. That's just the jumps and gear rental - it doesn't include buying your own gear.

I live in SW florida, and the closest skydiving place I see on my sectional is la Belle, if that helps.

The sectionals lie. Use the dropzone locator on this site to find out what's close to you. I know Florida has several dropzones so there should be one nearby.

You might also want to read the articles here on getting started.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

If you're 21 you're good most anywhere; some places will do it at 18 (but your parents may have to sign something); a very few places *might* do it at 16.

Actually I'd be very surprised if there is anywhere in the U.S. that won't let you skydive at 18; at that point you are legally able to enter into a contract and a parent's signature would be meaningless. The number that will let you jump at 16 does seem to be dwindling to just a few.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This varies by state and by dropzone. If you're 21 you're good most anywhere; some places will do it at 18 (but your parents may have to sign something); a very few places *might* do it at 16.

Actually, its a national thing, not state by state.
16 years old is the "legal" requirement with parental consent.
Most dropzones still wont allow you to jump until you are 18 though, but some few will.

Once you are 18 any dropzone will allow you to train there and get your license.
__

My mighty steed

thanks eule and everybody. I Live about 60 miles away from the closest one, http://www.skydiveswflorida.com/
Would I be able to do the training course a week before my 18th birthday and skydive my 18th?(or contact the DZ?) I think AFF is the one for me. http://www.skydiveswflorida.com/aff.htm

Also the price will be around 1500 right? if I don't fail any of them of course. :)

Contacting the DZ is the best way to figure out if they'll let you do the ground training early.

$1500 is probably a price *just* for AFF. Once you graduate AFF you still need to do solo/coached jumps to get to a minimum of 25 jumps (while demonstrating and documenting a variety of skills) to get your A license.

But I'm currently 17 and I heard you have to be 18 to get your lincense. Thats fine for now though, I'm getting my pilot certificate right now. I turn 18 in aug and will be done with my PPL. What kind of lincense is it? A? How much money will I be looking at? I live in SW florida, and the closest skydiving place I see on my sectional is la Belle, if that helps.

If you want to travel, and if your parent is willing to sign, some dropzones will train you at age 16. I've heard it happens.

You will get a Solo certification after $1500 approx, it will take about 15 more jumps to get your A. (costing between ~$20 and $100 each depending on where you jump and whether you rent gear or not, and whether you jump with a coach or not). Realistically look at spending at least $500 to $1000 extra to get the A, including rig rental and a few coach jumps. You may be able to get it as low as about $250 if you have your own rig and you find coaches willing to jump with you for free, but that may require you to travel to a different dropzone halfway across the country... (I heard one dropzone provide free coach jumping after the Solo Certificate and before the A License to encourage funjumper retention...not sure which one it was)

If you get a rig (recommended once you hit your A License) and other gear, add a few extra grand. Ouch. ;)

I know, I've been through this last year, so I remember all the prices clearly in my head :)

thanks eule and everybody. I Live about 60 miles away from the closest one, http://www.skydiveswflorida.com/
Would I be able to do the training course a week before my 18th birthday and skydive my 18th?(or contact the DZ?) I think AFF is the one for me. http://www.skydiveswflorida.com/aff.htm

Also the price will be around 1500 right? if I don't fail any of them of course. :)

The ground school is 6-8 hours. Unless weather interferes, it's common to do it and then do one jump in the same day. No idea if they mind doing the ground school the week before - what matters is that you're 18 when you sign the waiver.

Don't know about Florida prices, but I would plan on at least 2, and more likely 3 to get the A license. 1500 sounds like the cost for the AFF portion only. To get the A, you need 4-5 coach jumps and 25 jumps total.

Combing the costs (and learning) of flying and skydiving may be challenging. May be best to focus on just one for a while.

This varies by state and by dropzone. If you're 21 you're good most anywhere; some places will do it at 18 (but your parents may have to sign something); a very few places *might* do it at 16.

Actually, its a national thing, not state by state.
16 years old is the "legal" requirement with parental consent.
Most dropzones still wont allow you to jump until you are 18 though, but some few will.

Once you are 18 any dropzone will allow you to train there and get your license.

Not in California my brother. Here a parent may not legally sign a minors rights away therefore there is no such thing as a valid waiver for a minor in this state.
That said...fuck it, Go to Lodi, they will train you up at 16!
.....Lodi rocks!

The ground school is 6-8 hours. Unless weather interferes, it's common to do it and then do one jump in the same day. No idea if they mind doing the ground school the week before - what matters is that you're 18 when you sign the waiver.

Don't know about Florida prices, but I would plan on at least 2, and more likely 3 to get the A license. 1500 sounds like the cost for the AFF portion only. To get the A, you need 4-5 coach jumps and 25 jumps total.

Combing the costs (and learning) of flying and skydiving may be challenging. May be best to focus on just one for a while.

I'll be done before I would start skydiving. I would like to get a rig but $$, I'm going to be a senior next year and then onto college to study something with avaition. After college i Would buy more. (if i like it skydiving of course.) Thanks