degarmo

wind

>why cant I tell wind direction from, say 3,500ft or so?

A few options:

0. Dust/twigs/trash blows with the wind.

1. Ripples in water generally appear on the downwind side of the water.

2. Fly along in brakes for 10 seconds, then turn 90 degrees and fly along for 10 seconds. At some point you will see a drift if there's significant wind; note which way and land going the other way.

3. Note which way aircraft are landing and/or which way you took off.

4. Remember which direction the wind was blowing in before you took off. It probably didn't change.

5. Learn the signs of a sudden shift in wind; changes in tree color, nearby weather front etc. (Weather nearby might be a good reason not to jump in the first place!)

6. Finally, in case all that fails, learn to land downwind. It's not hard; the trick (as with any landing) is getting your vertical speed to zero and then (usually) sliding.

You keep focusing on how to figure out wind direction from under canopy. I'm telling you, figure it out before you take off. How far off field are oyu that you can't see the DZ as a reference? Why would you jump out on that type of spot? Getting out of the plane would have been your mistake. Instead of teaching jumpers how to dig themselves out of the trouble they get into, why not teach them to stay out of that trouble in the first place.

Because it's not enough to just say, "don't fuck up." If one gets into a situation, it's no longer helpful to say he should have avoided it. That can wait until he's on the ground.

Actually, Speedy's post said exactly what I am thinking - knowing the details he mentioned and you talked about covers the vast majority of the scenarios. But it's not 100%.

I'm sure a downwind 10mph landing is no concern to you. Maybe that's part of the disconnect?

There is no disconnect. You should be clear on where you are, and where you are going when you leave the aircraft. End of story.

If you do find youreslf too far out, you already have a plan in place for landing (including which direction you will face). Instead of spending time trying to determine your drift, you should be spending then time scouting out suitable landing areas.

In selecting an LZ for an off-field landing, you should initailly qualify several locations. Select the best of the suitable locations, and spend you time studying it as you draw closer. Single power lines, thin wire fences, and angry bulls may nto be visible from higher altitudes, and the sooner you spot them, the better your chance for bailing, and using an alternate spot.

If you have to land off, stick with the plan as far as your pattern, and direction of final, just do it over another area. Spend your time ensuring that your flying yourself into a safe LZ. You'll be comitted to your choice sooner than you think, so spend you time choosing wisely, not staring between your feet and playing with your brake settings.

What if you should find yourself doing an off-field downwinder? It shouldn't matter. Your plan should be to do a good PLF up unitl the last two feet.

Landing in a 'clear and open' field is different than landing on an established DZ. Even the best un-improved field may be hiding tall grass and gopher holes. You have no idea what you're getting into, and should be ready for a PLF unitll you can see your actual touch down point, and see that your canopy will slow you enough to allow you to negotiate whatever holes, ridges, ruts, small animals or shrubs that may be in front of you.

Even with 4000 jumps, I'm planning on a PLF on every off field landing I do. Not unitl I'm two feet from touchdown do I evaluate my speed, and the terrain and make the PLF/ no PLF decision.