SivaGanesha

best introduction to the sport for someone serious about continuing?

Let's say someone is serious about skydiving and wants to become a licensed and eventually very experienced skydiver--not just a one-time bucket list thing. What would be the best introduction to the sport be for them? Note that I'm not allowing multiple answers--for example, if someone starts with a Tandem but goes on to do AFF, their introduction was via Tandem. If you answer AFF, it means they would do an AFF first jump with no prior tandem or tunnel time. Etc.

Your thoughts? There are multiple ways of getting an initial intro to skydiving--which is best suited to really training someone to become a skydiver?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I would start with either sl or aff, doesn't really matter which, and continue from there. No tandems unless they are working tandems. Throw in some tunnel minutes maybe if you hit a snag in freefall, but otherwise, just JUMP, rinse, repeat!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It'd have to depend on the location, person, and time of year.

Right now, someone in New England -- I'd give them tunnel time. Here in Texas, probably AFF, unless they lived close to an SL DZ. BUT -- if they're very stepwise learners, or basically very cautious by nature, I might tend to start them on SL regardless; it's a slower progression where you can really concentrate on single learning objectives.

Either way, I wouldn't consider someone to be serious about taking up skydiving if they hadn't at the very least invested in a tandem, or at least knew they didn't want one.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Right now, someone in New England -- I'd give them tunnel time. Here in Texas, probably AFF, unless they lived close to an SL DZ.

In answering the poll, it is intended that one assume all four options are actually available. In practice, it might be the case that some options are unavailable due to weather, money, what the available DZ's offer, etc. But that isn't really the point of the poll.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Not sure about everywhere else, but at my DZ AFF and IAD cost the same amount. Only difference is you get way more jumps logged in IAD. So anyone wanting to get licensed I suggest IAD. I also personally like to learn in a thorough manner, so IAD was my method of choice. Although from a financial standpoint it is better off as well. Especially if you have to redo a level. Does anyone know any reason other than getting straight to top altitude on the first jump for going the AFF route?

There is no 'best' answer that works for everyone, it's all dependent on the person. My suggestion would be to show them videos of each method available at the local DZ, explain what's involved in each one, and see what they think makes 'sense' as far as a first jump goes.

Some people will see the value in a 'no responsibility' first jump like a tandem, some will see the value in an 'intermediate' jump like a static-line where there's no freefall to worry about, and others will see AFF as the bets idea for making a first jump. If the jumper in question 'believes' in the choice they make, it will only serve to boost their confidence and probably improve their performance.

Tunnel is not an option as it's not a skydive. It's fun, and you can learn some things about body flight that will translate into skydiving, but in terms of someone who has never stepped out of an airplane in flight, it just shouldn't be on the list. I'm taking my 11 year old daughter to the tunnel over the winter, and have no doubts that she will do great and have a blast. even if was legal in the US, I would not let her jump out of plane in any capacity at this point in her life. The tunnel is one thing, making a skydive is another.

GAjumper84

Especially if you have to redo a level. Does anyone know any reason other than getting straight to top altitude on the first jump for going the AFF route?

Simple: I'm good with either method, but where AFF is good is that it allows that fraction of students with bigger stability issues to have the assistance of instructors in freefall, instead of trying to fix it entirely by themselves, jump after jump after jump with little progress. (And in AFF they have more time to work on stability per jump.)

That said, AFF students do occasionally get stuck on a level for a number of jumps. Tunnel is even better for instructor involvement in teaching stability, although even that doesn't guarantee instant perfection in the sky.

If youre in New England, there are a lot of folks who do tunnel camps in the winter, will give an idea of what AFF would be like before you do it.

Otherwise, as an AFF student, I recommend it, but I would also recommend a tandem first. Reason being is that there is a LOT of overload on AFF-1, some of it is easier when you've already been outside the plane :)

Just a humble opinion.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

As my ownly instructor position was as a TI, naturally most of those that I took were on their first jump. For (most) of them, it was a one shot deal and they did fine. Some were interested in continuing and this was a good intro to the whole picture at once before settling down to be a student.

BUT, for myself... there was NO F-ING WAY I was going to do Freefall. This whole thing was nuts anyway and I'm only gonna make one jump. Climbing out of a F-ing plane, IN FLIGHT, and LETTING GO!!!?! Then having to remember how to fly a parachute by myself (with radio... but it may not work you know...). The very thought of adding in freefall was just too much for me.

Now, for my ex-wife... She had already flown a plane (until she quit) and done other things. She went AFF and did so well that they wanted to skip her a level. Most natural jumper through her solo dive you ever saw. (then she quit)

While I have not been to a tunnel (yet) I suspect that it would also be a great first/intro for someone coming into the sport...

My point - whether your plan is one jump or to take up the sport*, each of the methods are "best" for different people.

If I were King and HAD to say everyone starts off with this one type, I guess I would say Tandem. While it would have scared the SH!T out of me to do FF on the first jump, having an instructor that was aleart/thinking/functioning for those first 5 seconds after the canopy opens would have been nice... :$

BUT, I would also suggest telling the manifest and TI that you are interested in being a STUDENT not just a PASSENGER. (some TI's will even know the difference :P ) Even that first jump should be a teaching moment if you're serious.

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Tandem. I do a LOT of AFF-L1 (CAT A) jumps with folks who have never done a tandem. I am pretty sure that every time I have had a L1 jump get REAL exiciting it was with a student who had not done a tandem. The vast majority of first timers wildly underestimate the AFF sensory overload when they are on the ground before the jump. Combine that with the Dunning-Krueger effect, and some of those L1 jumps can be interesting.

I have learned that it is a VERY bad sign when the camera guy looks at me over the student in the plane and silently mouths "You are SO f*#^ed!" with a big grin. Generally that means that the camera guy is looking forward to watching this jump WAY too much! Of course, I knew this one was gonna be "fun" long before the camera guy pointed it out to me... but if it is clear to him too.....:|

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Let's say someone is serious about skydiving and wants to become a licensed and eventually very experienced skydiver--not just a one-time bucket list thing. What would be the best introduction to the sport be for them?

Just curious - how can someone be serious about skydiving if they have never done it?

wants to become a licensed and eventually very experienced skydiver-- or astronaut or racecar driver...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Let's say someone is serious about skydiving and wants to become a licensed and eventually very experienced skydiver--not just a one-time bucket list thing. What would be the best introduction to the sport be for them?

Just curious - how can someone be serious about skydiving if they have never done it?

wants to become a licensed and eventually very experienced skydiver-- or astronaut or racecar driver...

First, you have to get old enough to know that, "I do it now or never". Then you grit your teeth, stiffen your neck, put your thinking/student hat on, collect your liquid assists, and commit to it like there is no way to not do it.

I wanted to be an astronaut or fighter pilot but that didn't pan out. So, when I decided I wanted to be a skydiver/wingsuit pilot it was to sort of "fill in" for my life long dream that never happened. My level of "serious" is the only thing that pushed me to meet my primary skydiving objective.

Honestly, if you ask me today, "Do you really enjoy it?", I might say, "I am not sure, I am still trying to decide". If you ask me if I am serious about skydiving, the answer would be a for sure "Yes". I put my other main hobby on hold. I took money out of long term savings. I have spent most of my vacation time and most Saturdays jumping since I started. I am not happy with weather keeps me home on Saturday. I spend time reading on DZ.com trying to pick up one more little tip that I might use, in the mountain of blah, blah, blah........

Does that clear it up any?
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

First, you have to get old enough to know that, "I do it now or never". Then you grit your teeth, stiffen your neck, put your thinking/student hat on, collect your liquid assists, and commit to it like there is no way to not do it.

I wanted to be an astronaut or fighter pilot but that didn't pan out. So, when I decided I wanted to be a skydiver/wingsuit pilot it was to sort of "fill in" for my life long dream that never happened. My level of "serious" is the only thing that pushed me to meet my primary skydiving objective.

Honestly, if you ask me today, "Do you really enjoy it?", I might say, "I am not sure, I am still trying to decide". If you ask me if I am serious about skydiving, the answer would be a for sure "Yes". I put my other main hobby on hold. I took money out of long term savings. I have spent most of my vacation time and most Saturdays jumping since I started. I am not happy with weather keeps me home on Saturday. I spend time reading on DZ.com trying to pick up one more little tip that I might use, in the mountain of blah, blah, blah........

Does that clear it up any?

Yeah but you just weird...:P

And even OLDER than ME! :o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I think it depends on the person as well and not only on the method of introduction.

I was a pilot long before I did my first skydive so after doing the research I decided to go straight to AFF.

The canopy flight bit did not scare me at all and I managed from the first jump to land close to target with an adequate pattern.

It's about self confidence as well, if someone is willing to face the challenge of unaided (except by radio) canopy flight, I would recommend AFF.