Akey

Packing as a Job

Hi there, i was just wondering how much experience you would need packing rigs to become a packer to earn money? I am considering the idea of going abroad next year and working as one to pay for my keep (and jumps), would this be possible? I am only just starting out, but i would expect to have 200+ jumps by the time i go out there as i have alot of money saved for jump tickets :)

You have to look at the volume of jumps at the location you plan on going to.

How much do you need $$$ to live there, how many pack jobs does that mean I need to make a day, week, month, to be able to live on beer, bread, and jumps. We used to call this EFS, the 3 things in life required to exist (Eat, Fuck, Skydive) everything else is an EXPENSE!!!!

Do the math, it is NOT a pretty picture :S

Best of luck (I do not use packers)

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I know packers with less than 50 jumps, and I know packers with several thousand. It's about your packing ability, not how many jumps you've done.

Work on technique, consistency, and pack a variety of different rigs. Speed will come, and may or may not be necessary depending on just how busy the DZ you're working on is... a friend of mine packed 83 in a day at Eloy a few weeks ago, and another friend packed 8 at a different DZ.

Where are you going? Not all countries use as many packers as the USA.

In your experience is it possible to live off the money earned?

Yes.

I went to the US in 2002 as manifest and went with two boys who became packers. We lived on the DZ (bunkhouse) and easily covered our travel, food, sightseeing, jumps etc. with what we earned.

It's tough work though. One of the packers did 105 in one day in the middle of summer, but she cleared $US800 for her efforts.

Plus you hardly ever get to jump weekends. But if you're at a good DZ, you get staff rates for jumps and a lot of other perks.

nothing to see here

bob.Dino does not pack much so you could make a fortune off him at least and me for that matter!!!!!

Depends how hard working you are, Most big DZ's that jump everyday need packers and yes I am sure you could survive on packing alone.

Hi, i started packing this season i pack on a small DZ and even tho the weather wasn't best for a couple weeks I still made more than working is a store. And you have fun with guys and you can jump while you are working if it's not very busy. Bytheway i have less than a hundred jumps. So it is not how many jumps you have but how many pack jobs

Most big DZ's that jump everyday need packers

No one needs packers. But some jumpers feel they can't live without them. Its Gods way of telling you 2 things. One you are making too much money and two you are lazy. B|:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yes.

It's tough work though. One of the packers did 105 in one day in the middle of summer, but she cleared $US800 for her efforts.

If i packed 105 rigs in one day i would'nt be able to walk for a month.:(

The back just aint what it used to be.

Most big DZ's that jump everyday need packers

No one needs packers. But some jumpers feel they can't live without them. Its Gods way of telling you 2 things. One you are making too much money and two you are lazy. B|:)

Tandem rigs? Student rigs? I would call that a case of the DZ itself "needing" packers ... if they want to turn the kind of volume through their tandem/student programs that allow them to make a buck.

As for fun jumpers... yes, there's an argument to be made that no one needs packers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Depends on what you want to accomplish in skydiving. If you want to continue jumping and still have a nice life, then continue with your work career and get your ratings and all the equipment you will need. You don't make much money in skydiving. Starving for a month because it rained will make you think twice about packing full time.

I know from experience. :)

My husband and I pack part time... we could not afford to jump nearly as much as we do if it wasn't for packing. It pays for jumps, a new canopy, riggers' course, coaches course, etc, and still some left over. We have weekday jobs for paying normal bills.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Man being a packer is the coollest. You get to live in a pimped out trailor and you never know when your power might blow. Chicks dig you, when you drop a rig to get their's, but after that they don't care. Weather sucks you don't work, get ready to do clean up work. Hope your dz doesn't have dogs.

I've jumped a lot and packed for mostly myself and got really dry hands.

Our hands are always calloused and molting, fingernails get ripped off occasionally, skin at the base of the nails splits and bleeds. But it's a good workout, nothing like busting ass all day to make a few bucks... it makes a good cold beer taste even better :)
My 'man hands' don't really turn my husband on though :S

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Wow I wonder what its like in other parts of the country.

In 2 years of packing mostly on weekends, I have made quite a bit mroe money in six months than i every did as a full time auto mechanic.

It sucks at times, but if you are good, you can make up for it when you are busy.

My best day was 97 and best weekend (3 day) was about 260.

I also only pack for fun jumpers, Tandems and students are taxed and dont tip where I'm from.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

My roommate is a packer and pays for pretty much everything with packing... It gets rough when the weather sucks. She was working a part-time job + packing but they told her she couldn't have weekends off. She had to quit because packing payed as much in 1 day as she could make all week at her other job.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Tandem rigs? Student rigs? I would call that a case of the DZ itself "needing" packers ... if they want to turn the kind of volume through their tandem/student programs that allow them to make a buck.

As for fun jumpers... yes, there's an argument to be made that no one needs packers.

You forgot the Instructors and camera fliers who use multiple rigs when doing back to back loads.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192