phoenixlpr

Do not cross runway under 1000ft/300m, how to decide?

Take the highest one of the two.

I'm not sure where you are getting this 100m corridor from. By my (auick clacs) 1000ft = 303m 300m=990ft.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Do not cross runway under 1000ft/300m, how to decide?

Actually that is a 100m wide corridor.

How can you make sure that you don't break the rule?

Experience and paying attention to your surroundings. There really is no other answer I can think of.

I think the scenario you are talking about is when you are in the zone where you are not really sure whether you can make it or not--much like the power line scenario where you are wondering whether you could clear them.

In either scenario, the best bet (IMO) is to (1) use conservative judgement and (2) make a decision and stick with it.

Walt

I think the scenario you are talking about is when you are in the zone where you are not really sure whether you can make it or not--much like the power line scenario where you are wondering whether you could clear them.

I think the power line is better. You can see that.

Imagine a hawkeye is watching you from the tower and report back that you were low in wrong place and you might get grounded without any hard evidence, because Club/DZO does not want to get everyone grounded....

I think the power line is better. You can see that.

You're wearing an altimeter and you can see the runway. What's the confusion?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Push it up a bit, then be conservative about it.

We have a 500m limit at our club (lots of gliders etc.). It's a bit of a bummer to have to walk around the runway to get back, but it beats being hit by a plane of some sort.

When in doubt, I land on the "wrong" side. Sometimes some of the GA pilots get really pissy about it, claiming we're endangering their planes by doing so. Usually it's easily countered with "better than endangering your lives by crossing the runway".

is the question about rules or safety?

If you're crossing the middle (or end) of a runway and see no planes coming, there's no safety reason against crossing at 900ft, just as there's no problem *walking* across the runway.

500ft is the limit for Elsinore. 1000 is a heck of a lot of space.

just as there's no problem *walking* across the runway.

That's not allowed either.

bummer - well, at least there is an upside to flying parallel to the runway. You're gonna be walking it soon enough.

is the airport in question so busy that crossing isn't practical, or is this just rule making gone amuck?

1000ft isn't alot is you are at an old airforce base. I used to jump at one that had a 6000' runway.

A plane could get quite high and still be over the runway!
I've seen pilots do two touch and goes in one run.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

1000ft isn't alot is you are at an old airforce base. I used to jump at one that had a 6000' runway.

A plane could get quite high and still be over the runway!
I've seen pilots do two touch and goes in one run.

pfft here a mountain home the runway is 13,500' long and 200' wide, we are actully a alternate shuttle landing site :P now if only they would let us jump here :(

(not that it matters to me, still saving up fro AFF :( E-3 pay aint that much)

is the question about rules or safety?

If you're crossing the middle (or end) of a runway and see no planes coming, there's no safety reason against crossing at 900ft, just as there's no problem *walking* across the runway.

500ft is the limit for Elsinore. 1000 is a heck of a lot of space.

Safety. We have lots of gliders and they're pulled up with a wire. It gets them to 1000 feet no problem, right over the runway. And then they search for thermals.

If you cross at less than 1000 feet, you risk being cut in half by the wire or the glider. There's a safety margin built in - and there's also the possibility of having to cross it against the wind etc., which would mean more time (and more altitude loss)

Having seen a student almost get clipped by the wire, I don't think it is too convervative.

Attached on the pic you see our DZ. Gliders will land on and on either side of the runway. There are nice outs on the "wrong" side (the building with red roof is our hangar, on the "right" side).