crotalus01

AFF question

i am going this saturday to do jumps 5-7 to complete AFF. i did 360s instead of 90s on level 4, level 5 is supposed to be 360s. i want to do 1 360, redock, then (if over 6K which i will be) try a barrel roll. my reasoning is that i would like to get on my back before i try a backloop, and the barrel roll seems easier on dirt dives than the backloop or frontloop. also the barrel roll is not included in the AFF training for whatever reason. any suggestions or input on this? havent talked to my JM about it yet, wanted some feedback first...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

The reason for the 90 degree turns is to start and stop small turns. The reason for the 360's is to show you can control the turn with more speed, and a greater radius. The backloop is designed to get you slightly unstable, or at least get you off your belly. The barrel roll is sometimes included in AFF programs for the same reason.

Talk with your instructor. He/she will want to see a more complete demonstration of turns with stopping at the designated heading. The choice of backloop or barrel roll shouldn't make that much difference, but some instructors get picky about their standards. I've always liked it when my students get involved in their training, as long as they aren't trying to avoid a necessary skill. It sounds like you have a reasonable plan, and a reasonable approach, but again, it is always up to your instructor. Oh, and don't skip the backloops altogether...they can be fun!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I've gotten all the barrel roll practice I need with my solo exits....never needed to do one during the AFF jumps. I've been to one place (Perris) that does use it instead of the backloop.

If you're still being directed to pull above 5 I wouldn't put a distablizing element as last - should it go wrong you don't want the added pressure of pulling on time as you right yourself.

When does tracking show up on your progression? While any reasonable recovery from being on your back is good, everyone is very interested in your ability to do a 180 and track away at the end of a jump.

hey thanks for the input guys. i did tracking on level 2, no problems with it whatsoever, went from 130 to 180 in about 5 seconds (JM had in helmet speedometer). also did 90s on level 2 (levels 2 and 4 are identical except no hands on by the JM on 4). again thanks for the advice, i will talk with my JM and see what he wants to do.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...