DZ Reopens with USPA Help

Skydivers and one drop zone owner in Tennessee are happy again. Skydive Paris has reopened at the Henry County Airport in Paris, TN. Jumping commenced on July 8, more than two years after the airport manager abruptly shut down the DZ because skydivers were allegedly landing too close to the runway. DZO Johnny Reyes doggedly fought back and, supported by USPA, its attorneys, and the Airport Access Defense Fund, took the issue all the way to the top of the FAA by filing a Part 16 formal complaint. The result was a slam-dunk FAA ruling that “there exists a long-standing precedent for affording skydivers the same operational latitude given to an aircraft in flight or while taxiing.” The FAA threatened to withhold the airport’s construction funds if it did not allow skydiving back on the airport. “I can tell you that I had never experienced a greater feeling in my life than when those parachutes opened [on July 8th],” said Reyes. “The support that USPA provided played a key role in our success.” Look for a full report in an upcoming issue of Parachutist. 
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.