bertusgeert

What now?!

I have 57 jumps, I just started jumping again after a year and a half hiatus, i left off at 53.

Now that I feel comfortable in the air again, I feel myself aimless. The problem is that I jump at a very small DZ. Having seen SGC, Deland, Skydive the Rockies and others, I realize how much faster the learning curve is if you have the right friends.

Unfortunately, I don't have the capital to travel every weekend. I am stuck in a place where there are very few people who can jump with me. We do tandems, have a camera man and two students.

So what can I do by myself to become a better skydiver? If I want to get into freeflying/freestyle, but i'm happy doing RW for now. (relative to.... ummm.. well.. no one.)

So what now?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

You don't have to travel every weekend, but pick one weekend a month to travel to a different DZ and work on some skills. Then when you are at home the rest of the time you can refine those skills on your own. Hooking up with a group at a DZ is the best way to acceleratee your learning curve. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Do the TI's/instructors and video people there never fun jump? Have you asked them to do an early load before they get busy or at the end of the day when they are done? If you can afford it offer to buy the video person's slot to video you, you can fly relative to them without even docking, just doing some 360s and no contact fall rate changes and also see your body position on video, and your tracking. Well worth a slot and someone to smile at in the sky.

Sorry there aren't more folks for you to jump with, that's gotta be frustrating.

There are some things you can work on solo, I also do think at your stage you would do best to belly fly for now. You can work on tracking for an entire jump, but you must do it safely so as not to track into anyone...you learn to track in a box or back and forth across the windline. Talk to the instructors about it before doing it.

Good luck and just keep having fun!

You can never get too much practice tracking. On one of your visits to a larger DZ, get someone to evaluate your tracking skills then practice whatever they teach you to get better. Of course, any tracking dive should be discussed with the pilot and other jumpers to ensure that everyone's aware of what you're doing and where you're expected to be.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Travel to other DZ's close to you.

Try and get a group together. It can start as a two way and build from there. Work on basics together.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

...you learn to track in a box or back and forth across the windline line of flight.

I'm sure that's what you really meant.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239