Emmie

Jumping with a sign help

Hi all,

I wanted to make a really special wedding card for a cousin whose wedding I can't make it to, and wanted to jump with a sign, and turn the photo into a wedding card. :)Does anyone have experience with this? If so, then what material do you use to make the sign, what dimentions, what do you do on deployment, what type of exit, etc.
It will probably be just me, or one other person, and I will be sitflying.
Thanks for your replies.

Hi all,

I wanted to make a really special wedding card for a cousin whose wedding I can't make it to, and wanted to jump with a sign, and turn the photo into a wedding card. :)
Does anyone have experience with this? If so, then what material do you use to make the sign, what dimentions, what do you do on deployment, what type of exit, etc.
It will probably be just me, or one other person, and I will be sitflying.
Thanks for your replies.

You're going to get a few responces here as to how to make your sign and how to fly it.

After you've made your sign, you might want to consider taking it over to your local S&TA and have him look it over.

Things to look out for;

Be -certain- that a hand can NOT, in any way, EVER become trapped or stuck in the sign.

Be certain that the sign material is fairly strong; especially the area near the handles.

Be certain that when you decide to let go of it with one hand (so that you can deploy) that it doesn't flop around and whack you in the face.

You mention that you're going to be sitflying . . . unless you're really good at that . . . I don't see how a person holds a sign AND sitflys at the same time. Have you considered a bumper sticker type thing that you could simply put on the forehead of your helmet?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I did a bellyfly sign jump... made it out of plywood. Dimensions were 24 inches wide by 14 tall. I cut out handles at each end with a jigsaw. At that size and freefall speed, I found it to be totally controllable in freefall and I was able to hold it easily in my left hand during deployment. Not sure if this helps you or not. Good luck !
“Sometimes you just have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down.”
~ Kobi Yamada

I'd suggest getting on your belly. I think a sign of the type shown above would be much more controllable on your belly than sit flying, especially at your experience level.

But, if your not completely comfortable in either attitude with crossing your arms, putting them straight out or straight back, and sure of your stability, this might be a little over your head. It's not hard but remember this not another skydive. This is a stunt and needs to be respected.

Just being my normal wet blanket.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I made three freefall banners to announce my kids' births...well, I had my rigger make them. There was an article in PARACHUTIST in 1989 regarding how to make a good banner out of F-111 fabric. I'll try to find it and post more info soon.

I still have the banners and corresponding photos on the wall of my basement room. Oh, so cool. B|

Cheers,
Jon S.

Found it. It's in the December 1989 issue. The banner is easy to make and flies nice 'n' stable. They recommend wrapping it around your wrist before pulling, but I didn't have to do that. Just held it out in my left hand while pulling. If you're flat and stable it won't interfere with deployment. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jon