peek

Book Review: The Parachute and its Pilot, by Brian Germain

Book Review:
The Parachute and its Pilot 3rd edition
by Brian Germain

(I did not see the first two editions, but I can say that this edition is well done as far as the writing and printing. I just got this edition from Brian at the WFFC.)

This is it folks! This is the book that nearly every skydiver needs to read. All about flying and landing ram-air parachutes, including information you need to know when you begin to learn how to to "high performance" landings.

The book includes just the right number of diagrams to help you understand what the text is explaining.

Brian's background in "adventure psychology" allows him to explain very well some of the things that go on inside our heads when we skydive, and how we can perform better and more safely by knowing these things.

I rather like the first-person writing style, something most authors are afraid to do nowdays. (There are some pretty neat metaphors in there too.)

Most importantly Brian reminds you that you can die if you miscontrol your canopy, and he does this many times thoughout the book in one form or another.

I found it very interesting that Brian explains many of the things that many experienced skydivers have learned simply by their vast numbers of jumps, experimentation, and intuition.

But unless you have a lot of jumps and know a lot about parachutes, you simply _must_ read this book.

You can order the book at the Big Air Sportz web site at http://www.bigairsportz.com via PayPal, or get one if you see Brian in person.

(He is working on getting some other distributors to make ordering by credit card possible.)

(He is working on getting some other distributors to make ordering by credit card possible.)

I'm pretty sure Brian has quite a few dealers with the book in stock that accept credit cards as well.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Agreed - i liked it as well. its good in that any of the chapters can be read in isolation - there are sections on psychology, technique, aerodynamics, gear, safety etc.
Nice one Brian
- has some nice quotes in it too from some alternative sources!!!!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I'm pretty sure Brian has quite a few dealers with the book in stock that accept credit cards as well.

Yup. Me and JP are 100% sure of this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

This book is a terrific source of information. I wish I had it many jumps ago. Many thanks to Brian for sharing years of experience and research. I've found myself re-reading many sections just so I'm sure I grasped the full scope of all this knowledge. Thanks again Brian... you're certainly a benefit to this sport.

What do you mean? My copy is still lying in the manifest as i forgot it there last time i was out!

I won't make it in this weekend (well, maybe sunday, if the grad party isn't too good ;)), so that should give you some time to glance over these chapters as well.
I'll be back out wednesday, please schedule me for a repack, too!:)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...