timbarrett

Encourage friends to jump..?

All I'm trying to get across is - accentuate the positive in skydiving, show how happy it makes you and how happy it could make them. When they see the possible benefits of starting, they may be that much more likely to start.

Its one thing to inform people who ask what skydiving does for ones self then it is to proactivily encourage others to make a jump. If people have questions, Id answer them to the best of my ability. However that being said, I would not accentuate the positive without stating the negatives. If someone has a desire to jump they will. If they have no desire to jump then they wont. Its not my job to convince people to try something that can kill them. I do not proactivley encourage others to jump for the same reason when they come to my house I do not serve them blowfish. .. "Here eat this, I know theres like only 5% of the fish that is edible and that the other 95% could kill you but the 5% is worth the risk, so dig in"

Have you thought about this situation yet.... You encourage your best friend to make a jump.... you only point out the good, they didnt HAVE a desire to jump but because of your constent proding about how amazing and safe it is, they decide to. Then they bounce, how would you feel? Personally I would feel responsible in a way.

So basically I will

1. Answer questions in relation to how free fall feels for me, and let them know the myth of "losing their stomach on exit"
2. I will give them the phone number and the website information to a dropzone if they ask.
3. Offer to meet them at the DZ to watch them land.
4. Respect them enough not to make them feel pressured to jump.

This isnt like encouraging someone to watch a perticular movie they like, this is a sport that can and does kill people and its also one of those things that either youve got the desire to try once or you dont. If they choose to jump and progress then that is their choice.

The reason most people use peer pressure to get others to tandem or AFF is because they get a free jump themselves. Id rather pay the 20 bucks to jump, but thats my personal opinion.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Hi lisa

Thanks for your points, you are right in all that you say, but I feel I may have come across in a way I didn't intend to.

Telling people why I like a sport and what it does for me, i do not see as peer pressure - its sharing an experience. I am agreeing with adventurechick that I would want to explain how the kit works and of course acknowledge that it can fail. I would not, and do not, try to fudge over that. In fact I tell them about my accident which actually if anything would put people off! But I try to explain why it happened and what can be done to avoid it.

This thread was about 'encouraging people to jump' - not forcing them to. I bring skydiving up in conversation and talk about it in positive ways. The first thing that always comes up is always the safety stuff. I acknowledge it can be unsafe and explain why - but then I talk about the amazing sensations it gives me and talk about other people's experiences too. I ask if they have experienced anything similar and enjoy relating to those feelings. I don't keep track of whether they do or don't eventually jump - but I enjoying sharing things that make me happy and like to think that others could find it fun too.

I told my best friend I was going to do AFF - he said he wanted to as well after I explained AFF to him and showed him some videos. I gave him the website and told him which hotel I was in. I was out there in Spain and talking to him via text, and at no point did I say 'hey you big puss, when are you coming to jump?'. I just chatted to him about, well, stuff. So yes, I have considered the angle you mention.

As has been written elsewhere, everyone takes account of their own safety in the sport. If someone joined the sport because my enthusiasm rubbed off on them, they would go through all the same safety training as me and be made aware of the potential for danger. They might decide not to bother then and there.

I don't push people into things, and I am not the peer pressure type. I cant see how I would get a free jump either, though it would be nice. I agree with your four points totally - the only difference I would make is that I would probably bring it up in the first place!

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Then seems you do things in a positive way as to not make the sport appear safer then it is.

One thing I disagree with is going into detail about the rigs and training. I have talked about the whole 2 parachute thing and such but theres so much to gear and the dynamics of flight, mals and the like that I do not feel confident that I would touch on the points that the instructor would. Im comfortable with my knowledge for myself but not confident that I would relay it proper to someone who has not experienced it.

At this point with over 100 jumps, I barely bring it up to those who dont jump anymore. If I have skydiving or no shit stories I save that for my skyfriends.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

At this point with over 100 jumps, I barely bring it up to those who dont jump anymore. If I have skydiving or no shit stories I save that for my skyfriends.

Same here!

For the most part, I either get two responses: A) "WOW, that is so cool, where do I sign up" and then I give them the information and they chicken out..or B) "You are crazy, I would NEVER do that" i just say, ok...it makes me happy :D

I did get 4/6 roomates to do the S/L course though! Maybe it was because I was gone every weekend in the summer and they wanted to see what was sooo cool. B| Only one continued and he just progressed to 10k a short while ago.
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

I admit I talked about it with friends, family and co-workers during my first few weeks but after a while I quit as I got the standard whuffo attitude that comes from ignorance and fear of the unknown. Any anyone comes to me with any questions I feel qualified to answer I'll do my best to either answer them or direct them to websites or the DZ's phone number to point them in the right direction.

It'd be great if I could talk a few family members and friends into trying a tandem or enrolling in AFF but I know full well its only a decision they can make for themselves as it was for me.

It comes up randomly in conversations. Like today for instance, I was in victoria secret trying on lingerie with my helmet (so they matched for the lingerie tunnel flights) and the victoria secret girls started asking me about the tunnel then about skydiving... and now two of the girls who helped me find my lingerie are going to do tandems in two weeks! I didn't push it on them, but they never thought they could do it, and now they are!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

If crystal meth did it for you, would you also share your great exerience with your friends? Maybe because your experience with mushrooms was that great you decided to encourage all your friends to try em?

PS This is just me being bitter that my girlfriend is jumping this weekend and I'm not. And if she breaks a finger her mother will rip my asshole out through my mouth. encourage all the people you can. They're big bobys and girls and they have to sign the waivers. If they go in... Odds are pretty slim on your first jump.

PPS Do Shrooms
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

unfortunatly, 95% of the people that ask me about it never do anything else. I guess they just have a short attention spa..... Is that a butterfly?:P
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything