kkeenan

U. S. Nationals

It's that time again, when the hard-core believers in all of the diverse events that make up competition skydiving get together to do whatever they do. All jumpers think that they're particular discipline of skydiving is the coolest. When they get into it, they may go for years getting better and better and if they get into the competition aspect of it, they can become pretty fanatical about it over the years. This meet is such a fine event, because for a week, it's a really big DZ with all of the best fanatics from every discipline hanging out and skydiving their asses off. SD Ariz. is a mega-DZ that can run this event just fine, as have Perris Valley and SD Chicago in past years. This year all events will be compressed into one week, rather than two, so that will make it even more of a 3-ring circus. But, having seen the staff & management at SD AZ operate, I think it will be intense, but smooth.

I've been to a few, but lots of the folks competing have done this for years. And some are there for the first time. It's like a big boogie, in that there are old friends and new ones. It's just a very humbling and honoring experience to hang out with such a crowd of dedicated folks. Everyone there has worked hard to get to that time and place and to see how they do in whatever their thing is. Some of the events seem strange as hell to those who don't do them. Then again, to those who do them, the others seem strange. But at the Nationals, their all equally important, and if you're wearing a Gold medal at the end, you have been a bad-ass at something to get it. B|
Everyone respects that.

The competition starts in a week, and people are already starting to make their way out to the desert. To all the competitors, good luck in your events. Stay safe, and I'll see you in the bar at Eloy on Saturday.

Kevin Keenan

hmmm, I'm on investigatory leave at work starting today, and ending on pending... Az is really not too far from home... I may just end up there, camping out in my car to watch and meet new people. .. so are there any fun jumps that go on, or is it just competition stuff?
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

hmmm, I'm on investigatory leave at work starting today, and ending on pending... Az is really not too far from home... I may just end up there, camping out in my car to watch and meet new people. .. so are there any fun jumps that go on, or is it just competition stuff?

There have always been fun jumps going on during nationals, and I'm sure this year at Eloy will be no exception. You really shouldn't miss it if you're around and can spare the time. The DZ vibe is like no other...and it really is the best "boogie" of the year!

B|
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Kevin, i agree with most of what you said. I competed t the 2004 Nationals in Perris and had a great time. I thought i would find that people were so serious that they wouldn't be any fun to be around. Man was i wrong. Even though several teams (in many disciplines) were extremely serious, they still made time to talk and have fun with everyone else. Where else can you go and see and meet all the people you read about and see pictures of in the magazines??? Nationals was an incredible experience and i can't wait to go to Eloy.
The only thing i don't agree on was this statement:

All jumpers think that they're particular discipline of skydiving is the coolest.

I found that to be not true. I was there as a videographer for a skysurfer. I found that most of the other competitors were really interested in watching the competition rounds on the big screen and were really supportive. Maybe that was just because skysurfing isn't that common, but even the hardcore fourway guys were enjoying the freeflying rounds. I thought that was one of the coolest thing about nationals, the friendships and comraderie.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I'm glad to hear that you'll be at Eloy. I agree that it is really cool the way everyone supports each other. My CRW team has spent a lot of time camping and packing next to a Freestyle team. When those folks won gold last year, we cheered louder than anyone.

I think that the competitors and other folks involved with the Nationals get so into it that they just assume that all other jumpers are as interested in it as they are. I guess the truth is that a pretty small percentage of the jumpers in the U. S. pay any attention to the competition or know much about it.

But that doesn't really matter, because the people who are interested are usually so enthusiastic that they make up for the rest.;)

Kevin