chaoskitty

Your biggest challenge?

I think my biggest challenge is just relaxing and taking it slow. I can take as long as i want to practice landings, patterns, freefall skills, tracking, spotting, all the basics. I dont have to succumb to get-there-itis in terms of progression or jump numbers and all that. I dont have to be on a 4way team this year or jump a camera or get a coach rating (yeah right) or anything like that. I can have fun and take 5 years to get my basics down, discuss everything with instructors & just chill & have fun.

I can succumb to the gobbling down jump numbers & moving too quick into freeflying or whatever, as easy as the next guy...

This sport is a bit on the dangerous side so no one's opinion of how fast i'm progressing, or my perception of that opinion, should determine how soon I'm trying new things. Screw that. Its funny, but i have to remind myself of this periodically...
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

Overcoming the possibility of death or serious injury will most likely happen once you become more familiar with the sport. In reading your profile I saw that you plan to start AFF in the Spring. I would assume that you haven't taken your FJC yet. Once you take the course, you will learn a lot about the equipment and how it works, which should make you more confident.

Yes, it is hard to think about how your family would feel in the event of an accident. Unfortunately, that really doesn't go away. If I die, well, I'm dead. Not that I want to die, certainly not. But it would certainly take a toll on my family. I just do everything in my power so that I reduce those risks as much as possible.

If it's something that you never get over, than well, maybe skydiving isn't your sport. Which is totally cool ya know.. But anyways, learn what you can about the sport, take your FJC, and you will be the one to decide if it's worth it or not!

I think my biggest challenge is just relaxing and taking it slow. I can take as long as i want to practice landings, patterns, freefall skills, tracking, spotting, all the basics. I dont have to succumb to get-there-itis in terms of progression or jump numbers and all that. I dont have to be on a 4way team this year or jump a camera or get a coach rating (yeah right) or anything like that. I can have fun and take 5 years to get my basics down, discuss everything with instructors & just chill & have fun.

I can succumb to the gobbling down jump numbers & moving too quick into freeflying or whatever, as easy as the next guy...

This sport is a bit on the dangerous side so no one's opinion of how fast i'm progressing, or my perception of that opinion, should determine how soon I'm trying new things. Screw that. Its funny, but i have to remind myself of this periodically...

So true, dude. But it sure is hard!!

What is your biggest challenge regarding this sport, and how do you plan to overcome it? Or if you already have, how *did* you?

Telling my nerves to shut up when it's time to exit. :S
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

1. Cost, naturally.

2. Spotting is something I expect will freak me out. Staring at the ground thousands of feet below is something I have trouble with. On my tandems when we stood at the edge of the door I could not bring myself to look straight down, I had to look out toward the horizon. Yes, as strange as it is to say, I do have something of a fear of heights, with regards to standing on structures. Standing at the top of a building or a cliff and looking down gives me chills. But looking out in the valley through the airplane wasn't so bad, even when we went to jump. I just don't think I could fixate on the ground for very long. But if I am going to go for SL, I guess I better get used to it.