chrismgtis

Graduated AFF Today & Jumped Solo

Jumped my level 7 today and made a solo dive. Thanks for all the help from those of you at dropzone.com and to instructors/staff at Chester, SC. I still owe you guys some beer.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Congrats! How was that first solo? Was it a completely different experience from any of your AFF jumps? :)

Yea, actually it was. The exit was wild. I pulled at 5000' and the adrenaline really started pumping around 6000 which I'm not used to. Normally I'm very relaxed. It was great though. Was entirely under control in freefall and doing turns and tracked a little bit which was great cause normally I end up in a turn and take a few seconds to correct.

I wasn't used to having to get everything ready myself and I goofed a few times. I got a radio and forgot to tell the DZO I was going to be on standby. I had to wait for my chute to be packed and got it on just in time to get on the aircraft.

All in all. The dives went great. It was a unique experience from the others.

Normally I'm very relaxed.

Funny. Mine worked the other way. My AFF jumps were an experiment in terror, whereas my first solo was SO PEACEFUL. Weird. :)

I agree, my first solo was the best yet!B|
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

Funny. Mine worked the other way. My AFF jumps were an experiment in terror, whereas my first solo was SO PEACEFUL. Weird. :)

lol yea, it's weird. On the first 3 or 4 jumps I seemed to get more nervous each time on the plane and from there it just eased off a lot on each jump. On Level 7 today I don't think I was nervous at all it was just odd.

Hell, I went to see a girl today and was more nervous doing that than I've ever been jumping out of an airplane. It's odd how these things work, isn't it?

Yea, actually it was. The exit was wild. I pulled at 5000' and the adrenaline really started pumping around 6000 which I'm not used to. Normally I'm very relaxed. It was great though. Was entirely under control in freefall and doing turns and tracked a little bit which was great cause normally I end up in a turn and take a few seconds to correct.

My first solo jump was by far the most relaxed for me. I guess not having the pressures of having to perform certain manuvers helped me. Congrats!

My first solo jump was by far the most relaxed for me. I guess not having the pressures of having to perform certain manuvers helped me. Congrats!

That definately made the jump nice, not having to concentrate on doing certain things. I practiced using my foot to make turns and it worked awesomely. I was in total control.

And I love being able to just jump out of the airplane and not care whether I'm flipping or anything. :-D

Second that. I'll never forget my first solo after AFF. It was just total freedom... Very liberating.

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Yeah, not having to worry about performing is a great thing. Try doing some flips on exit.. really fun stuff.

I think I did on both my Level 7 and solo. lol. I can't say 100% sure.

+1. Honestly, levels 1-5 didnt even seem like that much fun because I was concentrating so much in what I was supposed to be doing. My first solo jumps were an entire different world than aff. Having no pressure to do anything in paticular, I just threw myself out the plane and went with it.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

***+1. Honestly, levels 1-5 didnt even seem like that much fun because I was concentrating so much in what I was supposed to be doing. My first solo jumps were an entire different world than aff. Having no pressure to do anything in paticular, I just threw myself out the plane and went with it.

Well, it was a fun jump for sure. More so than any of the AFF jumps. Each jump just seemed to get funner each time. I pretty much just ran and flung myself out of the plane too doing one of those superman moves. The way I look at it, who cares how you exit as long as you don't get hit by a wing or hit another jumper, you have plenty of time to get stable. :D

I think I shouldn't have looked at the ground right before I pulled haha. I was thinking "oh shittttt" and I look up and my canopy takes a little longer than I'm used to, to open and I'm like "open open open". lol